Weep Vents

How many single skin garages have you seen with water on the inside? And if they do leak - why don't they stop building them that way?

I have seen a few, I even have one myself, if a side is exposed to driving rain it will, I had to cure the problem with pliolite masonry paint, (oil based masonry paint)

most garages on new builds a either cavity, or block inside with brick outside in a 9" wall. Some are I agree single brick, but they dont worry about maybe having a damp garage for the new owner, its all about production costs at the end of the day, as long as there's no damp in the house that's what matters to main contractors.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't work that way. Once saturated capillary action ceases. Besides, modern face bricks are waterproof compared with Victorian bricks - and neither leak water.

Garages do leak, that's why everything goes rusty in em.
And 'modern' bricks aren't any different to old fashoned ones, they've been made the same way (and from the same materials) for 5000 years, only engineering types can be considered waterproof.

Play a hose on a Victorian house and the water will as if by magic disappear. Do that with a modern house and it will run down the wall. Why is that?

Sponsored Links
This should make it clear in regard to capillary action:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Capillary action, capillarity, capillary motion, or wicking is the ability of a substance to draw another substance into it. The standard reference is to a tube in plants but can be seen readily with porous paper. It occurs when the adhesive intermolecular forces between the liquid and a substance are stronger than the cohesive intermolecular forces inside the liquid. The effect causes a concave meniscus to form where the substance is touching a vertical surface. The same effect is what causes porous materials such as sponges to soak up liquids.

A common apparatus used to demonstrate capillary action is the capillary tube. When the lower end of a vertical glass tube is placed in a liquid such as water, a concave meniscus forms. Surface tension pulls the liquid column up until there is a sufficient mass of liquid for gravitational forces to overcome the intermolecular forces. The weight of the liquid column is proportional to the square of the tube's diameter, but the contact length (around the edge) between the liquid and the tube is proportional only to the diameter of the tube, so a narrow tube will draw a liquid column higher than a wide tube. For example, a glass capillary tube 0.5 mm in diameter will lift approximately a 2.8 mm column of water.

With some pairs of materials, such as mercury and glass, the interatomic forces within the liquid exceed those between the solid and the liquid, so a convex meniscus forms and capillary action works in reverse.

We are not talking about simple capillary suction here.
And anyway it doesn't stop when saturated, put a LBC in an inch of water and it will fill up and respire out of the top surface contiuing until the bucket is empty.
I said if the wind is forcing the rain against the wall.
So stop talking *******s joe.
Noseall was right about you after all

We are not talking about simple capillary suction here.
And anyway it doesn't stop when saturated, put a LBC in an inch of water and it will fill up and respire out of the top surface contiuing until the bucket is empty.
I said if the wind is forcing the rain against the wall.
So stop talking **** joe.
Noseall was right about you after all

Not on this planet it won't.

Oh and if the rain were forcing against the wall then that would mean high wind - and that would force water back up the weep vent wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Any minute now and Joe will be on about the venturi effect of the weephole...

That's an interesting point. Same principle as the old carburetter.

Here's a theory Joe: wind blows into the weephole and, as it's a small area, the velocity increases and heats the air going into the cavity, which dries any moisture on the cavity face of the outer leaf.

:LOL:

I think we've taken this one about as far as we can. Twas good fun though. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back