Weep Vents

Sponsored Links
You'll still have to put them in, BRegs says so.
That's not strictly true Shytalkz. Approved Doc C doesn't directly address weepholes in cavity walls with a rendered external finish. It does however, x/ref BS5628-3 as an alternative approach.

BS5268-3:2005
5.5.7.4 Weepholes
Weepholes need not be provided if walls have a rendered external surface finish.

Hopefully that conclusively answers Stan's question and should enable him to omit them and still get BCO sign off.

Don't just read: understand.

I do understand them - and they agree with what I say about weep vents being a secondary back-up to bad pointing, leaky roofs etc.

I'm sure that we are both in agreement that hard modern day brick will not allow transmission of water through their bulk to run down the inside cavity. It doesn't happen because the Laws of Science say it can't happen. A soft Victorian brick will allow water to pass from end to end easier than a modern brick will side to side. Surely you realise that?

Sponsored Links
weep vents and cavity trays are nothing to do with a leaky roofs or wall plate water ingress and never will be.

you are wrong on this one laddie and you are looking a complete fool.

weep vents and cavity trays are nothing to do with a leaky roofs or wall plate water ingress and never will be.

you are wrong on this one laddie and you are looking a complete fool.

No I'm not - read Shysters posts.

joe, please show us documented evidence that details the use of cavity trays and weep vents as a result of water ingress from roof leaks or wall plate malfunction.

Questions for noseall.

1) Why do you build single skin garages if they leak?

Answer - they don't leak?

2) If you have a leaking roof above a wall plate, what is the wall plate sealed with to prevent water running under it and down the cavity?

Answer - nothing so water can run under it and down the cavity.

Not a very intelligent individual are you? Then again a common chancer (builder) never is.

Questions for noseall.

1) Why do you build single skin garages if they leak?

Answer - they don't leak?

2) If you have a leaking roof above a wall plate, what is the wall plate sealed with to prevent water running under it and down the cavity?

Answer - nothing so water can run under it and down the cavity.

Not a very intelligent individual are you? Then again a common chancer (builder) never is.

many single skin garages do leak water, questions have been asked on this forum about it.

cavity trays are not installed in the event of a roof leak.

most properties build in the '50's, '60s' and 70's have sealed cavities upon which the wall plate is bedded. the cavities are sealed with a bedded header brick. it does not cover the entire cavity wall obviously but it is enough to seal the cavity and carry the plate.

these days the cavities are left open and the insulation is carried on up to the loft insulation.

Hmmm what an interesting thread!

Weep holes are put in at the end of cavity trays over lintels, with the ends of the tray turned up into the perp, so that ANY water whether it be from driving rain or rotten first row of felt (although highly unlikely nowadays from not using bituminous felt) can escape back to the outside, and not cause damp above the openings.
Cavity trays should have weepholes when they are put in for a floor tray, every 4 bricks too.
For the record water CAN penetrate the more porous types of bricks and run down the inside, I have seen it with my own eyes, I have been a bricky for over 20 years, that is why ALL cavity ties have an integrated drip in them to prevent capillary action of water to the inside leaf.
Simple as that, no one can tell me otherwise.

:D Happy debating all :D

Modern day bricks are pretty darn waterproof. If water does get onto a wall tie it does so through the dodgey mortar. How many single skin garages have you seen with water on the inside? And if they do leak - why don't they stop building them that way?

Now now boys tut tut, put Jo down.
Yes, when the rain is driving against brickwork, it gets saturated with water, (eventually) and for every drop forced into the brick by the wind, a drop has to come out inside and run down to the DPC tray and weep holes.
Also for the odd occasion where condensation could theoretically cause problems.
These are all only theroretical considerations and are rarely encountered in the RW.

Now, that's all, the old bricky has spoken.
More strength to the all encompassing wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back