WEIRD TEMP GUAGE READINGS ON FORD FOCUS GHIA 2004 PLATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has just purchased a FORD FOCUS GHIA JAN 2004 PLATE 80000 MILES REG MW54TKU.

The on longer trips the temperature gauge will have steady mid range readings then very quickly suddenly climb into the red and after a minute or 2 will then suddenly quickly drop down to normal again. Occassionly it will stay in the red long enough to activate the multifunction warning light on the instrument binical but then the light will go out and the gauge again suddenly drop back to normal temperature. The car never goes into the fail safe driving mode which cuts out 2 cylinders to enable you to limp home without damage which it would do if the car was excessively over hot.
The cooling system is clean with no sludge etc and it does not loose any coolant at all and the car never smells or appears to be hot or the system over pressured when you get under the bonnet.
I have a suspicion that the car is not actually overheating and it is an electrical problem with sensors or something.
My daughter works a distance away and I am concerned that it may breakdown and leave her stranded somewhere.

I had just completely drained the system and refilled with new coolant . I refilled by disconecting top rad hose at radiator, holding hose up and filling it via the hose until water started to come out of top outlet on rad. I then reconnected top hose and finished topping up by filling the expansion bottle to max.

ANY IDEAS GUYS............

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If vehicle doesn't actually overheat then replace sensor.

Might also be worth investing in a cheap electronic thermometer to check actual engine temperature whilst driving but if the malfunction happens quickly then I would be inclined to go with poor connection or sensor fault.

If you have just replaced the coolant, and the problem has only been happening since then, you have to suspect an airlock somewhere. Search online to see if there is a known problem when refilling the cooling system with that particular model/engine.

Sponsored Links
Back