Welding a washing machine drum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hotpoint bwm12 washing machine has sprung a leak from a smal crack in the rear of the drum, water trickle out at a slow rate.

Can the drum be welded or do I have to throw the machine away, its nearly 7yrs old and although it has had it moments it has been a good machine and I dont have any major issues with it.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It will depend where it is leaking from, if it is a seam then I would have thought it would be more difficult to weld, but a crack in the body of the case should be ok. Have you thought of trying one of the preparatory sealers on the market. I would have wondered though why it had cracked, is it near the shaft or the outer edge & is the area around the crack sound?

Thanks for the quick reply.

The crack is not near a seam it is on the rear face of the drum at around 7o'clock. Its tiny, only about 5-7mm long but very obvious when you trace where the water is coming from. How this has occured is beyond me, obviously I cant see inside the drum's but its probably corroded internally (it certainly show no sign ecternally!!)

What type of sealers are available??

is the mc noisy if so drum surport has snapped causeing the crack . if no you can use chemical metal from halfords to seal it ,its like a putty for metal very good to use .

Sponsored Links
The machine IS noisy on spin, as though something is flapping around...... I guess its time for a new machine :(

yep spider broken off ,sealed metal tank scrap it . :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back