Welding spring steel to mild steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe this is not an area covered on this forum.

I have an Arc Welding machine, so my son asked if I could weld a spring steel round bar (soft state) to a mild steel plate.

Years ago I recall using what was a low Hydrogen rod on a similar job when working in engineering.

Would this be correct ??

Sponsored Links
The greatest problem by far is heating up the spring - this will take the temper out of the spring and it will return to its normal state. One method is to keep the spring under water, and only weld to the smallest piece of the metal exposed.
John :)

This is not a spring as such,
Its EN45 in its normal soft/unhardened state. Its material used to make a spring type item if wanted by heat treatment etc.

thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I recall, low hydrogen rods were used for 'difficult' steels, especially those with a high sulphur content - I guess an ordinary rod would be fine in your case.
Sorry I can't comment any further as I'm almost totally MIG these days, but I wish you luck with your project! Do lets know how the weld goes.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back