well-insulated short-circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I upgraded the lighting circuit to 2.5mm, seeing as I was insulating the ceiling. I copied the original layout, then I put up my plasterboard, fibre glass insulating wool, & for good measure battened & t&grooved over the plasterboard. Somewhere beneath all this there's a fault in the run between the switch & the ceiling rose, as it blows the fuse when this is connected, but not if I use a different wire to the switch. As it happens, I did lay in another run of wire, planning to loop out for a wall light -but should I remove the offending cable altogether, or if I seal up the terminal points will it be harmless? :oops:

Sponsored Links
remove the old cable, today you know what it is for what happens in the futyre?

Quadroclops said:
I upgraded the lighting circuit to 2.5mm, seeing as I was insulating the ceiling. I copied the original layout, then I put up my plasterboard, fibre glass insulating wool, & for good measure battened & t&grooved over the plasterboard. Somewhere beneath all this there's a fault in the run between the switch & the ceiling rose, as it blows the fuse when this is connected, but not if I use a different wire to the switch. As it happens, I did lay in another run of wire, planning to loop out for a wall light -but should I remove the offending cable altogether, or if I seal up the terminal points will it be harmless? :oops:
why did you use 2.5? 1.5 should have been fine

doubt if you will get a reply, that was qaudroclops' last post (and that was in march)

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
doubt if you will get a reply, that was qaudroclops' last post (and that was in march)
hmmmm... maybe he tryed doing the same with the downstairs lights? and maybe that time he actuly hit somthing live rather than a switch cable :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back