Wet ceiling in bedroom desperate for solution (Photo)

water sneaking in behind the rendered chimney, thats my guess.
I'd second that. Is the render cracked at all? If it's cement render and it's slightly separated from the brickwork at the top, then water will just go straight down the brickwork and then carry on down behind the render. NB In the close-up exterior photo there are a couple of faint horizontal lines along the render - do those indicate cracks?

There's also the question of how good the flaunching is around the base of the pot.

Sponsored Links
Climb in the loft when it rains.

BTW what's that ugly white thing around the stack? Never seen that before.
Indeed - that`s b`ggured up the symetry of the stack penetration of the roof with the juxtaposition of the stacks turned through 90 degrees :idea: And it was rendered ...... because there was a leak - It would of been bare brick originally , innit :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
This is interesting. For what it's worth:
1. Why not water test with a hose, and one in the loft and one up the ladder. Start wetting at the gutter area and work up the roof, stopping and observing after ,say, every 2ft?

2. There dont appear to be individual soakers , merely lengths of cover flashing above the roof surface. As noted, the cover flashing detail seems amiss

3. There is a considerable amount of "grinning thro" the render, and two render cracks top, left front.

4. Are the stacks flashed to the rendered base? Would flashing be necessary?

5. The last ridge cap has signs of more recent work.

6. The box soffitt might be suspect - whats the condition of the felt and guttering seals? The RWP branch requires a couple of clips.

7. The loft pic doesn't show ( to me ) the c/breast return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back