Wet/Damp near chimney in attic *VIDEO*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the bedroom walls in the attic has been damp/wet for a while, with plaster falling off/crumbling.

Finally we've got around to looking at it, I've knocked the plaster off and removed part of the ceiling to see if the problem is obvious. I'm no expert so can't tell where its coming from.

I've uploaded a video here to show you the problem, as you can see its starting to eat through the brickwork as well.

Also there is no insulation on the entire roof, we'd like to put some in, what would you recommend?

The property is a century old mid-terrace.

Sponsored Links
Wait till its ****ing it down and it may become obvious were the problem is, the lead work looks good but it is dark. Do you have any rain guards on the chimney pots

Not Sure, don't think so.

Had a few guys round to have a look, no one can be 100% sure where it might be leaking.

There isn't anything obvious when it rains, it seems dry.

I want to insulate that roof space above the plasterboard, between the rafters, which are about 70mm.

What product am I supposed to use? What type of Kingspan? Do I have to leave a 50mm air gap?

The flashing, looks to me like the soakers have been put in, but no cover flashing has been placed over them. Capillary action would allow water to creep in to the flashing and in to the building. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have a slate roof there, you do have soakers and the flashings you can see are step flashings which are covering these soakers. Brickwork looks fairly decent too.

Had loads of this lately, the chimney stacks are like a great big blotting paper and what with all this weather they just soak it up. It doesn't matter how good the flashings are, if the wet gets through the brick joints or the flaunching cement work around the pots is cracked it will just soak down through the bricks.

Do check what pots are still in use, think about it, if they are open where does all that rain go. Sometimes the only way is to remove them or render them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back