wet room floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently doing a wet room on the first floor. I'm using a marmox showerstone tray with marmox board on the rest of the floor and the Mira tanking kit.

I have boarded between the joists (400mm apart) in 18mm WBP, however the joists were not level (about 1/2 inch lower at one side of the room than the other) so the WBP sits proud at one side of the room as it's level.

I now need to make it ready for tiling. I plan to do the following, but am looking for advice as to whether this is OK.

cover the floor with 6mm WBP to level the area off - this will be stuck down with flexible tile adhesive - with extra applied where the joists are lower than the WBP to build it to the same level. It will also be screwed to the joists and to the 18mm board between the joists. This will give me a nice level surface to work on.

I'll stick the showerstone down with tile adhesive and screw it around the perimeter. I'll butt up to it 15mm WBP which will also be stuck down with tile adhesive and screwed through the 6mm ply into the 18mm and joists.

I'm then going to put 6mm marmox board over the 15mm ply to bring it to the same level as the showerstone tray. The marmox board will be tile adesived down and fixed using the special marmox washers.

Is this overkill? I'd like to keep the cost down, but don't mind spending an extra couple of hundred quid for piece of mind (I really don't want these tiles to come off or the tanking membrane to crack!!! my new kitchen is underneath!!!!).

Let me know what you think - I've read the sticky, but looking for specific thoughts on this situation. I'm wondering if the 6mm ply will cause problems (as it's another layer) - I could lay the showerstone and 15mm ply straight onto the 18mm ply, but I like the idea of levelling it off using 6mm ply before laying the showerstone and I guess it all adds to the strength/rigidity?!?

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

PS: I can't sleep - kids in bed waiting for santa I'm laid thinking about my bathroom!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back