Wet supply pipe in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. So I’ve just bought my first home and I’m useless with most house related problems. I could really do with some help if possible. I’ve just recently noticed that the pipe in my new kitchen is leaking. It was causing water on the floor but not tons of it. I’ve had a plumber out who tightened the nut and put tape around it. It’s slowed the leak down but I’m still getting water on the floor and it all feels really wet still. How do I know if it’s condensation or if it’s a leak?! Plumber said cos of were the stop cock etc is it’s a nightmare but after tightening the nut he said it should be ok and if slightly damp could just be condensation. I don’t want to call him back out again and have to pay if it is just condensation but I feel that it doesn’t seem right that it’s wetting the floor which is surely gonna cause problems with thr pipe that’s converted into the floor ‍ hope this all makes sense and please help me
IMG_5041.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Condensation might cause it to be a little damp but enough that it needs constantly moping up the floor, sounds like that last plumber was crap. Find another one, friends or family recommendations or try the local Facebook groups for recommendations.

It doesn’t need mopping there’s not that much water coming from it. Originally I just needed to wipe it with a cloth each day. Now he’s been out and tightened it it’s definitely slowed down but still all feels wet and little bit of water on the floor now

Chuck a old coat or blanket over. Insulation from covering will stop condensation on pipes

Sponsored Links
Dry with tissue and then place a few squares of toilet paper around it and you will get a better idea of it leaking or not.

If it is a leak, it will be wet below the leak.

If it is condensation the entire pipe will be wet.

Point the tip of a pen against the nut you think is leaking and photograph it please.

... put tape around it....
Useless.

I'm not overly impressed by your plumber.

I hope you didn't find her on a website that hold paid-for advertisements and masquerades as a recommendation site.

This is we’re it feels wet at the moment. I dried it off and then left it a bit.

This is the nut that was taken off and taped and then tightened. He said he will come back to put more tape on it but I’m after something that’s completely going to solve the problem as get my new kitchen fitted in January and new flooring so worried the floors going to get ruined.

Can you shut water from outside the property?
If so, I would replace that stopcock along with the suspected joint and also put some insulation around that pipe.
You'll be doing all of this when you fit your new kitchen anyway, so...

If he actually took the nut off, cleaned the olive and socket, and added tape to it before tightening the nut, that would usually work.

It looks very tarnished, though. Wire wool or a scourer would have left it looking bright. There might be old jointing compound in the way.

If he actually took the nut off, cleaned the olive and socket, and added tape to it before tightening the nut, that would usually work.

It looks very tarnished, though. Wire wool or a scourer would have left it looking bright. There might be old jointing compound in the way.
Yes he did. Should I just get him to put more tape on?

Can you shut water from outside the property?
If so, I would replace that stopcock along with the suspected joint and also put some insulation around that pipe.
You'll be doing all of this when you fit your new kitchen anyway, so...
Oh god I was just planning on boxing it all in ( leaving tap out) how much am I looking at to do this?

I'd recommend cleaning the pipe and olive more thoroughly before taping. If it is damaged or out of shape it may be better to cut it off and fit new.

Fitting a new stopcock is not a big job, provided you have an outdoor stopcock (or a water meter that has a valve built in).

Put a magnet on the pipe coming out of the floor, it might be steel. The pipes above look like copper.

Try to find a better local plumber by recommendations, though.

Pipe lagging you can easily do yourself at little cost

Use foam, not hessian.

Edit
Oh, already been said.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back