Wet supply pipe in kitchen

This is we’re it feels wet at the moment. I dried it off and then left it a bit.

The time to check whether it is leaking, or condensation, is several hours after any water has been drawn. The pipe/water in it, will be at the same temperature as the house, so no condensation. Any water appearing, after it is dried, is due to leakage.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend cleaning the pipe and olive more thoroughly before taping. If it is damaged or out of shape it may be better to cut it off and fit new.

Fitting a new stopcock is not a big job, provided you have an outdoor stopcock (or a water meter that has a valve built in).

Put a magnet on the pipe coming out of the floor, it might be steel. The pipes above look like copper.

Try to find a better local plumber by recommendations, though.

Pipe lagging you can easily do yourself at little cost

Use foam, not hessian.

Edit
Oh, already been said.
Thanks very much for your help really appreciate it. Will find another plumber and just get it done properly

This is the nut that was taken off and taped and then tightened. He said he will come back to put more tape on it but I’m after something that’s completely going to solve the problem as get my new kitchen fitted in January and new flooring so worried the floors going to get ruined.
Ah.
Does he mean Ptfe tape on the olive?

If you are paying for his time, just tell him to fit a new valve.
They are pennies compared to a min call out.

Sponsored Links
If it's not condensation then it all comes down to whether the pipe has been necked and/or the olive is now damaged. If it's just been continually tightened before now then the pipe and olive might now be overcompressed and a common fault is no matter what's done, it keeps on weeping.

If that's the case then it will be difficult to ever get it seal up properly and that small section of pipe will need replaced. Should be easy enough to do as there's a compression top and bottom.

If it's not condensation then it all comes down to whether the pipe has been necked and/or the olive is now damaged. If it's just been continually tightened before now then the pipe and olive might now be overcompressed and a common fault is no matter what's done, it keeps on weeping.

If that's the case then it will be difficult to ever get it seal up properly and that small section of pipe will need replaced. Should be easy enough to do as there's a compression top and bottom.
Why didn't the plumber just do this in the 1st place?

Easy enough no?

Easy enough no?
Would usually be yep, guess it depends on how damaged, if at all, the olive and pipe is. Though, I would think that if it was still weeping after the initial repair then that moight be the next step. Suppose it depends on how long he waited to check whether his repair had worked.

I'd always leave it a few mins whilst running water through the system and then check with blue roll, any damp then it may need a further nip up and check again and if it still weeped then the last step would usually be a bit of pipe and new olives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back