Wetfloor in an existing tiled bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I have a nicely tiled bathroom but the floor tiles are like the are rubbish and wrongly laid and water from the shower hasnt helped. I want to lift the floor and install a wetroom floor but dont want to replace or mess up any of the wall tiling. Is this possible to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you’re very, very careful I would have thought so yes but difficult to say without seeing it; you could have problems if the floor tiles were laid first & your new tiles will obviously need to cover any gap but the wet room floor should take care of that.

What’s gone wrong with the floor tiles is the floor shot? What flooring is it? Just taking the tiles up, laying a wet room floor & re-tiling won’t necessarily make it any better if the tiles base is naff & flexing.

The tiles are all up and down and the grout is all cracked. The water from the shower has seeped through and the wooden floor underneath has a 6mm ply sheet between floor and adhesive and tile but it is smelling and the water also has run out of the area and into a carpeted walk through from bedroom to bathroom. The carpet is all damp and mouldy and the floor shower screen is also ill fitting against the tile and the water gets through that as well.

It sounds like youve got some major form of leakage going on there. When you get the tiles up you will in all probability find that the existing floor is totally shot & will need to be totally replaced, including what’s under the ply overboard (6mm is way too thin); I will take a guess that it’s chipboard which is rubbish. If you do have to replace the floor use WBP ply which needs to be 18mm -25mm depending on floor joist size/depth/span. Have a read through the riling sticky & archive posts where there is a lot of information on successfully tiling floors. Once you’ve got it all up, come back with specific questions if you need to & we’ll take it from there.

Sponsored Links
yep, floor is all wet and rotten. It all needs replacing. Whats the best way to do this. Now bearing in mind the corner of the bathroom has a shower and a sloping floor to drain insert. No shower tray, just the sloping floor. So ideally I would like to slope all this floor to the existing drain.

I am a reasonably good tiler and joiner but what i am looking for is the best way to get this sort of end result.

Thanks so far to everyone who has helped it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so far to everyone who has helped it is greatly appreciated.
So who is “everyone” :confused: there must be ghosts in here :LOL:

If your floor is totally shot you need a new WBP ply floor of suitable thickness & a wet room floor system. Too much to go into specific detail without knowing what you have but this link will give you some good guidance & background info;
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/wet-room.html
Have a read, get some thoughts & come back with specific questions; also some useful threads in the archive posts worth searching & reading. ;)

Hi Richard, and sorry for the ghosts. Anyway, I have had a read on the link you posted. I was particularly interested in the floor to falls boards combinations. So with that in mind and the existing drain level in the corber of the bathroom floor withing the exisitng shower area, should I plan to slope all the new floor using these boards to adjoin the existing corner drain slope? And I was planning a new 19 or 25 mm ply floor first. And do I put the floor in level fo use on these boards? I have never used them before. Another point I would like to bring to your attention is I have a bath the same as this fitted. http://www.betterbathrooms.com/baths/roll-top-baths/duo-free-standing-oval-bath/ sorry just copy and paste to see the image. i cant seem to get the link to work.
So am I right in thinking that the pipework will have to be extended to incorporate the new floor and boars and tiles?
And is there anything else I have to consider or is this a good set up to go with?

thanks again for all your help Richard

Sorry but I’m having a little trouble understanding your terminology! Unsure what you mean by “floor to falls boards combinations” “the existing corner drain slope” or your question regarding the existing pipe work what product is it you intend using? I had assumed you would be removing the existing shower tray/former & starting again is this not correct? Normally just the showering area would have falls to an under floor drain & the size of the showering area will depend on the size of tray former you chose; the rest of the floor would be set level with the top of the former. See here;
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/showerlay-installation.pdf

Hi Richard,

Well I was thinking either of sloping the complete floor to the corner drain point by installing a new ply floor and then using these slope boards. I mean is that the way to do it? or is the best way as you suggested by laying the floor level and just keeping the corner shower area to the drain sloped.

Thanks again for all your help Richard

is the best way as you suggested by laying the floor level and just keeping the corner shower area to the drain sloped.
That’s the way I’d do it, especially if you have a bath standing on there as well; but you should still tank the lot ;)

lift the floor and put your former in place and pipe work etc..
then using wbp ply, bring this LEVEL with the former usually 22mm.
prime the underside and edges of the ply.(sbr)

then use a flooring membrane..shulter/homelux/dura..etc and cover the whole floor.

tile away,..when you come to tile the former you will want to envolope the tiles(cut them in an envolope pattern) towards the grate in the former.

wash,clean the floor/seal(if needed)/grout/seal if needed.
done.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back