Wetroom floor former tray – advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A question to those who have had experience with wetrooms. Which model of wetfloor former tray shall I choose if I want to avoid underboarding between the joists?

I plan to build a wetroom on the 1st floor. The tray will be resting on timber joists, 400mm apart, with noggins if necessary. I am going to cover the tray with ceramic tiles. I want to get a strong enough tray, for which underboarding is not needed.

First, I was thinking of Impey’s Aquadec. However, I discovered on their website that installation without underboarding is recommended for vinyl covering only; presumably, ceramic tiles are too heavy.

I have found two other options. First, Maxxus from Purus. It is claimed that the tray can withstand 470 kg (against 190kg for the Aquadec) and even for ceramic tiles, underboarding is not required. Second, Tuff from AKW Medicare. It is also said that the tray can be installed without underboarding. However, the load which it is guaranteed to withstand is the same as for Aquadec, 190 kg. Both of them are manufactured from GRP. Are Tuff trays really stronger than Aquadec?

I would appreciate any advice and/or comments.

Thanks in advance.

Igro

Sponsored Links
Marmox Showerstone, although I have never come across a house that has joists level enough to lay straight onto. It is always essential to board out between joists, often having the boarding sticking out above joists and even having to bed these formers in rapidset flexy to get them pewrfectly level.

See installation sheet for Showerstone (2nd from bottom PDF)

http://www.marmox.co.uk/pdf_downloads.asp

Thank you, Bathstyle. Unfortunately Marmox Showerstone is not available in the size which I need, 900x1400.

Also, I have checked the joists, they are surprisingly level.

Batten and board out between joists then, 2 hours work max, which is nothing when you consider how labour intensive a wet room is.

Sponsored Links
It looks like tuff2 is a favourite in the run. Still, I wonder, has anyone used maxxus?

Thanks all for advice

Igro

First, I was thinking of Impey’s Aquadec. However, I discovered on their website that installation without underboarding is recommended for vinyl covering only; presumably, ceramic tiles are too heavy.
No, its not the weight. The aquadec is likely to flex a little when you stand on it. Therefore the grout, although flexible, might crack. I have an aquadec waiting to be fitted in my home. Its supposed to be 22mm thick, but its actually nearer 24mm. 190 kg is more than 2 heavy people, so I wouldn't reject it on that fact alone. IMHO underboarding is essential if you are tiling the former.

No, its not the weight. The aquadec is likely to flex a little when you stand on it. Therefore the grout, although flexible, might crack.
Thank you for your explanation, Kevnurse.

Do you feel that the same flexing would happen to any other former, regardless what manufacturers say? Tuff2 is supposed to be very rigid.

Igro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back