What’s this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing my kitchen and have come across this, it was above the old kitchen cabinets? What is it and what do I need to do to make it safe?

Attachments

• 8BD315DD-2147-457C-8385-30A17B84EA1F.jpeg
    8BD315DD-2147-457C-8385-30A17B84EA1F.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
where is it, and what are its dimensions?

stand back and take a wider pic to show what is around it

for example window, cooker hood, spotlights, boiler

Clock connector.

Usually connected to the lighting circuit to run electric clocks.

Looks like a clock connector.

The installation looks ratty as heck though. single insulated cores should not be visible outside enclosures,

Normally I'd suggest replacing it with a backbox, blanking plate and wagos, but given the apparent lack of an earth i'd be reluctant to use a metal box if I could avoid it.

Sponsored Links
This would also suggest that the lighting circuit has no earth so metal light fittings/switch plates should not be used anywhere in the house unless it can be proven that a working earth/CPC is available for them.

It would be sensible to find out if it is live.

It may no longer be connected, as it's quite ancient.

It’s about 500mm from the ceiling on a wall there is nothing around it now as was
partly behind a kitchen cupboard which have now all been removed.The lighting circuit has no earth so all fittings are plastic. My electrician is coming out this week to have a look and check if live and make it safe.

It would be sensible to find out if it is live.

It may no longer be connected, as it's quite ancient.
Eah oop lad.
We fitted some of those 2018 for electric window blinds. We'd asked for 1G boxes to be fitted by the M&E guys for FCU and a besa box for ELV control but they did 2 runs of 20mm tube and besa through boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back