what a mess!! (plastering question)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and thanks to all that answer,

just finished plastering a 1850's stone cottage, probably not the easiest first project!!. had a plaster with me but thought i would be a lot more use to him than i was!! is it just a practice thing?

can anyone recommend any plastering books?

Sponsored Links
Hmmmmm learn to plaster fom a book I dont think so pal.
Best to watch and learn.
Pete

Hi ashm,

Yes, it's just a practice thing really. You also need to know the techniques which I can probably be picked up by trial and error whilst practicing. However, I did a one week course which I found incredibly useful because it taught me things that would have taken me ages to learn alone.

I don't do the course with the expectation of becoming a professional plasterer, just to enable me to tackle DIY jobs. I'm getting more and more confident with practice.

You may not need to do a course as you've probably picked up a lot from the plasterer.

Just find yourself a wall and ceiling in a room that you don't need for a while and keep plastering the thing over and over again - that'll get you well rehearsed.

One thing I've not been able to get right with practice though is the mess! Boy is it messy - I don't think I'll ever be able to do it without dropping finishing plaster everywhere!

Good luck.

Fred.

thanks for the replies,

Hmmmmm learn to plaster fom a book I dont think so pal.

didn't think i would learn to plaster from a book just techniques etc.

short course sounds good will be looking into it

Sponsored Links
Practice does make perfect but plastering is a bit of a black art; most people find they either have the knack for it or don’t & if you don’t, no amount of practice will probably make any difference. If you’re to have any chance at all, you need to understand how the materials behave, then it’s all about speed, timing & skill with the trowel. There are some reasonable videos around that give a good insight to how a professionals do it..

"slap it on " by Marshall Town..........."Down the mine" by GP Rock........."straight up " by Darby Edger...... "Canopy" by P N Corner...."Mixing" by Ryan O` Tubb

Nige F said:
"slap it on " by Marshall Town..........."Down the mine" by GP Rock........."straight up " by Darby Edger...... "Canopy" by P N Corner...."Mixing" by Ryan O` Tubb

is it comedy night??

FredFlintstone said:
Hi ashm,

However, I did a one week course which I found incredibly useful because it taught me things that would have taken me ages to learn alone.

Fred ,
who did you do the course with, if you dont mind me asking?

Plastering School of Excellence in Stockport.

It cost something like £280 for the four days.

Like I say, I didn't do the course expecting to be a pro plasterer - merely to gain some knowledge of what to do and how to do it because I'm not fortunate enough to know any plasterers who would be willing to let me tag along and help (or get in the way as the case may be).

Is it expensive? Absolutely. £280's a lot of money.
Was it worth it? Absolutely. It taught me things that would have taken me a long time to figure out myself.
Was it fun? It was the best week off work I've taken in a long time.
Would I do it again? I'm considering doing their advanced skimming course. I've had the benefit of practice over the last few months but feel that spending four days doing nothing but skimming a large area under instruction would further help me improve. I could do this on my own but feel that it would probably take me months to reach the level that the advanced skimming course could give me in days.

Stockport's probably a bit far for you to travel each day (given your distance from the North West) but if you Google plastering courses I'm sure you'll find plenty in your local area. Compare them all carefully and don't be afraid to phone them and ask questions before committing to a particular course.

Regards

Fred.

Oh yeah, take no notice of any mentions of City & Guilds too. All their referring to is the fact that their instructors are G&G qualified - it has nothing to do with any qualification you'll get after the course. You won't have qualifications, just a bit more knowledge than you would otherwise have had.

they extend past the joists to the concrete floor below if you look closely.. he's fine..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back