What action to take about a leaking radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Our central heating system has only three radiators, and has been installed for about seven or eight years. Yesterday, it was noticed that there was a bubble of paint/enamel (a bit bigger than a penny) at the bottom of the largest radiator. When this was pressed, brown muck came out from the bottom of the bubble (however, it is not dripping of its own accord — yet). It seems obvious that corrosion has been at work. I believe that it's possible to fix a small pin-hole such as this, with some kind of filler, but my guess is that if one hole has appeared, others are likely to follow. So, my reasoning is that it would be better, and save trouble in the future, if this radiator were replaced. The other two radiators show no sign whatsoever of any corrosion/leaking. However, since it would be necessary to power-flush the system before fitting a new radiator, I don't think it would be wise to risk later corrosion of the other two rads by leaving them alone, because if this did happen, another expensive power-flush would be required. To me, it seems sensible to replace all three rads, and have a single power flush, all at the same time.

Could a knowledgeable person comment on my reasoning, and tell me whether I am letting concern rule my thinking, unnecessarily? Is there any other course of action that would be cheaper, but also reliable? Because my wife and I are quite old, I would not want to run any risk of my wife being left (if I died first) with a dodgy central heating system.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
A.W.

Sponsored Links
You do not need to powerflush the central heating system when changing a radiator. Just fit a new radiator and add inhibitor to the system.

Hey, Terry, it is a tremendous relief, to know that! Thanks for the response. A litre of inhibitor was put into the system as recently as November last. So, would it be OK not to add more, or do you think that one ought to play safe and put more in (when the new rad is fitted)? Also, do you think that it would be wise to change all three radiators? I'm inclined to think that it would be wiser to change all three, but I'm just a novice where central heating is concerned.

Only time you may need to drain and flush (not powerflush) is when you take the radiator off and the system water is black. You may just be unfortunate with that one radiator and there has been a weak spot.

As your system is under pressure (I presume) the only way to fix a mild steel radiator, for it to hold, would be to weld it, filler would never hold.

Sponsored Links
You will not need to put inhibitor in ,unless the system has been ,or will be, drained down ,as it's only been in a few months.Unless the other rads are showing signs of rusting , just do one replacement. How old are the rads ?
All from the original install ?

Only time you may need to drain and flush (not powerflush) is when you take the radiator off and the system water is black. You may just be unfortunate with that one radiator and there has been a weak spot.

As your system is under pressure (I presume) the only way to fix a mild steel radiator, for it to hold, would be to weld it, filler would never hold.
Thanks for your helpful advice, Madrab. When I have bled the radiator in the bathroom, upstairs, it has always come out quite clear. (The last time this was done was about six months ago, at most.) The gunge that came out of the bubble was brown. As I said earlier, it is not dripping. What you are implying about this single rad being an unlucky one, is that the others may be OK for a while yet. I shall take this on board, and consider it.
Regards,
A.W.

You will not need to put inhibitor in ,unless the system has been ,or will be, drained down ,as it's only been in a few months.Unless the other rads are showing signs of rusting , just do one replacement. How old are the rads ?
All from the original install ?

Terry, the rads were installed along with the boiler, about seven and a half years ago. I am assuming that to replace just the one radiator will not require the entire system to be drained, so I shall not have more inhibitor put in. Thanks very much.
Regards,
A.W.

It would be worth fitting a magnaclean to remove the rust/particular that will have accumulated and thereby protect the pump.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back