What applications are 10ma RCD's required in?

Sponsored Links
But what if one decides not to use the isolation transformer for what ever reason or if the isolation transformer develops a fault.

Sponsored Links
30mA RCDs which take anything like 40 ms to operate at 1 x IΔn
They have 300mS to operate at I delta n if a BS EN type, or 200mS for older BS types. 40mS is only for 5I delta n where the RCD is being used to provide additional protection.

But what if one decides not to use the isolation transformer for what ever reason or if the isolation transformer develops a fault.
There are so many "what if" scenarios for something like this. I've used an isolation transformer for years for working on older live-chassis equipment, but you still have other hazards present which neither an isolation transformer on the supply nor an RCD/GFCI on the supply will reduce even if it's not live-chassis apparatus: HT supplies of hundreds of volts or several kilovolts in valve TV sets, transmitters, etc.

Meanwhile, away from the willy waving ...
I have a 110V wall mounted transformer sat in the corner of the garage that came out of a school when it closed down. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It's both centre tapped earth and has a current trip with several turns of the centre tap earth through it's sensing hole which IIRC takes the nominal trip current down to 10mA or could be something less.
At 6th form, IIRC they reckoned they had one or two items of equipment that would frequently trip the supply in the physics lab due to the sensitive nature of the protection.

That's a problem with the the 5mA GFCI devices here. They might be fine to protect an outlet in a bathroom but try feeding a dozen outlets on a test bench thtough one GFCI and you'll likely end up finding it impossible to run certain combinations of equipment simultaneously due to the ground current (by design, especially in some older pieces of equipment).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back