What are these bits called on a UPVC window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see the attached images. What is the proper name for the little wedges about half-way up on the hinge side of a UPVC window? I assume they are there to improve the seal of the sash when closed.

In my case they don't seem to be doing their job as there is a small gap in the seal. Looking closely at the wedges when closing the window, they don't seem to be touching each other at all so don't seem to be doing the job I assume they are there for - there is a several millimetre gap between the wedges when closed. I would like to buy bigger wedges, but it's hard when I don't know the proper name for them!

Sponsored Links
Hi, I call these "pull in blocks", they can be found in securistyle web site under ancillaries, but why not try tacking the glazing bead out and "bowing" the sash jamb over with a glazing packer so you get more coverence in the blocks will be closer so do their job

Hi, I call these "pull in blocks", they can be found in securistyle web site under ancillaries, but why not try tacking the glazing bead out and "bowing" the sash jamb over with a glazing packer so you get more coverence in the blocks will be closer so do their job
Thanks. Now I've googled for "pull in blocks" I see that these are also called "locking wedges", so I'm getting somewhere.

I'm afraid I didn't understand the rest of your post, though. For example, I don't know what "glazing bead" or "glazing packer" is.

Sponsored Links
Hi, the glazing bead is the strip of pvc that holds the glass into situ, this can be removed with a "scrapper" type tool, and the packers are strips of plastic about 100mm in length of various thicknesses that the glass sits onto in the rebate , these will be available from the same place as the pull in blocks, simple ease and bow .the jamb over and slip the packers into the rebate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back