What are these floor tiles on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to rip up the tiles in the utility room to replace a leaking pipe. The floor is concrete them with a thick layer of screed or something, about 2.5cm deep. With the tiles immediately on top of this.
As I need to fit new tiles on top at the right height, what is the stuff that they are laid on? Or what should I use this time?
I'll put photos up now in the next post
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whatever the top layer is, you can make up the height with a sand and cement screed, a 3:1 mix. Prime first with a slurry of 1:1 mix.

Clean off all old adhesive as best as possible up to the old tile line.

How has the leak been taken care of? What kind of leak was it? The pipes look like unwrapped copper pipes? Copper will deteriorate if exposed to cement.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, The leak is being dealt with by the plumber, I've dug out the pipes and removed the wrap. They are going back in wood top trunking.

The floor doesn't appear to have any adhesive, just tiles on top of screed, shall I do a layer of screed to get the height and adhesive on that.

The impressed marks, and lines on top of the screed are the adhesive i'm referring to.

I've just told you how to build up to the old level.
You apply adhesive when you are laying your tiles - not before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back