What are these "Part P" courses all about!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got chatting to an alarm guy the other day who claimed "i've got my part P". So i asked him a little about it and why he went on the course. Apparently he did the course so he could "extend a ring" in his words to add an electrical point for his alarm systems. When i asked what the course consisted of, all he could remember was they did some testing for "earth leakage". mmmm so i thought id ask him how he tested it was a ring circuit, how he tested if it was a spur from the ring, and how he would check if the right fuse/mcb was protecting the circuit, finally how he was measuring the R1&R2 + Zs values. Basically all i got back was a blank look, and the answer of "well we just spur off with 2.5.
Can someone explain if they have any experience in these courses what they entail and what they are there to achieve. Apparently his boss who wasn't a qualified spark, had done a weeks course," in something" but was a member of a "part p scheme"!!

Sponsored Links
A misnomer.
Introduced at the same time but nothing to do with part P.

They just mean joining a registration body (NICEIC, Elecsa etc.) authorising self-certification without the need to notify the LABC.
Sounds like 'defined scope' allowing kitchen fitters etc. to install sockets etc. relating to their work.

17th edition regulation test is all they need, oh - and some money, insurance and equipment.
They are assessed to ensure they know how to use it. :?:

Id love to know how they taught him to correctly install, test and cert on a one day course though. it cost him £400 and they had to buy a multimeter and an "earth leakage" tester as he called it from the company doing the course, so all in all over a grand.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back