what can I put between lino and concrete floor??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So here's the issue......

My kitchen floor currently has what appear to be laminate interlocking tiles fitted (badly) that have buckled or bowed up over the years and it's time to rip them out. They're sitting directly on a concrete base.
Whoever installed them moved the skirting up to accomodate the thickness of the tiles, as well as reduced the height of the kitchen cupboard end panels.

Now Mrs Bob wants to replace the existing laminate tiles (around 8mm thick I think) with lino and I'm not likely to find any that thick, so I expect to have a gap of 4mm+ between the new lino and skirting unless I do something about it. I don't want a gap so I'm trying to think of solutions.

It's tempting to think I can put some plywood down under the lino, stuck with no nails or something, but that doesn't sound like a brilliant idea.
I could buy 4mm lino and double up on the thickness by putting two layers down, but that doesn't sound like a good idea either.

Has anybody got any experience of this or any workable ideas that may help me??

Sponsored Links
Lift the tiles and cut them free where they go under skirtings and units - dont forget appliance spaces and thresholds.
The concrete surface might need some grinding off of adhesive etc.
Sheet vinyl requires an almost smooth surface.
Cover the 8mm (?) gaps with trim moulding pinned to existing skirting or plinths.

Do your doors have thresholds?

You could put down floor levelling compound to bring it up. Although getting the height right may be interesting

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to use compound, use ply or hardboard

Try to avoid seams or joints on high traffic areas

That's the thing with lino, eventually any imperfections in the sub floor will show through. However a decent flooring contractor should be able to sort that for you and bring the level up with self levelling screed, ply or a combination of both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back