what can u use to take all the old paste etc off ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there anything you can buy to remove all the rubbish left on walls and ceilings from wall paper etc have had varying quotes for skimming however some walls etc are in good condition but you can see where paper has been so would show right through if painted as we have never had plastering work done we havent a clue on prices so dont know if we are being ripped off IE kithen needs replastering some walls back to brick from where tiles taken off quote 600, 700, 900 ceiling needs boarding and skimming
living room/diner all walls skimming and 2 ceilings 550, 600 800?
small porch needs plastering bricks on show 180/100,150? the cheapest rang twice wants money up front for materials wasnt sure if going to board or skim bit dodgy i think kept changing price and all can only do weekend we need kitchen doing ASP as kitchen coming 27th struggling for quotes and getting the work done sooner rather than later anyone know of plasterers manchester lancashire live m24
thanks in advance sandy

Sponsored Links
scraper and hot water

and ask for reference sites you can visit to see the results of your prospective plasterers.

Money in advance "for materials" is usually a bad sign.

JohnD said:
Money in advance "for materials" is usually a bad sign.

Unless you are a plasterer, and spend £100 on gear, and then the 'customer' phones you up the day before and says, "Oh, we've changed our minds and will be wall papering now instead"

Sponsored Links
Would that be a plasterer who doesn't work regularly and get through lorryloads of materials every week?

Most certainly & I wouldn't pay anything up front for plastering; the cost for this work is in labour & skill not in the materials, they cost peanuts & if the guy is short of 20-30 quid up front I wouldn't bother.

Jobs like this are a minefield for getting ripped off; all the decent spreads tend to have steady work with builders & developers so small jobs tend to attract ‘short of work’ other trades who think they can plaster or guys that have only just started & need the practice. Everyone has to start somewhere but do you really want them practicing on your property? But there are some good ones around, you just have to be careful to chose one of them.

thanks guys its very difficult when you have no experience of tradesman what seems like a good deal is probably like you say not what it seems
as I dont know what the average rate is it makes it far worse ill keep looking and hopefully find some good plasterers

£150.00 a day upwards ;) good luck with your search

Definately don't pay up front. I wouldn't ask for anything until you were satisfied with the result.

Has anyone you know had work done or can they recommend anyone? Sometimes the best way to find dependable people.

Nige F said:
£150.00 a day upwards ;) good luck with your search
Does depend on local circumstances; the young guy that did my porch, conservatory & some building remedial’s (via the contractor that did the work) charged £130 a day & his work was first class (& this wasn’t just skim over dot & dab). I think that’s probably getting near the lower end but his rate didn’t include materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back