What capacity is this fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to look at installing a replacement shower recently, the customer said he was thinking of a 9.5kW unit. He wanted to know if the existing cable was up to the job, the (very) old unit was 7.2kW.
After checking the size of the existing cable I checked on the incoming service fuse size, strange but it did not have a current rating.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
looks like a neutral to me..
is this a TT system?

there might be 2 fuseholders, one for the line, one for the neutral.

Is that fuse in a cutout directly attached to the DNO network or does it go to a ryfield distribution unit or similar?

Sponsored Links
The "fuse" was installed by the residential site owners. The supply cable is protected by a 63A MCB in a distribution cabinet about 25m from the property.
As you can see it is TN-C-S at the metering position.

Could be TN-S.

Until you expose the connection block, there's no way of knowing.

Normally see a red fuse holder when a solid link is fitted.

7128343D-0536-420C-8DD1-8FF17862B58C-3752-00000694DC61AA7B_zps28c397aa.jpg

ED6234EC-1351-43FC-BB89-79D8FB2212FC-3752-00000694ECA624D7_zps27b19c2f.jpg

Could be TN-S. Until you expose the connection block, there's no way of knowing.
"residential site owner", 25 metres from distribution box, and no supply co markings on the fuse or the meter suggest it's a private submeter on a 'park home' site
It does suggest that. However, how common (and, indeed, for what reason) is it to install a service head and fuse adjacent to the submeter in that situation? - after all, the cable supplying it is presumably adequately fuse-protected at t'other end.

Kind Regards, John

I can think of a couple of reasons to install an unfused service cut out.

1: to convert from whatever outdoor cable type you are using to meter tails suitable for connecting to the meter.
2: to provide a local point of isolation for the meter.

I'm sure there are other ways of acheiving both goals but if the install is being specified or installed by someone with a DNO background I can see how a service cut out could be the chosen soloution.

I can think of a couple of reasons to install an unfused service cut out.
1: to convert from whatever outdoor cable type you are using to meter tails suitable for connecting to the meter.
2: to provide a local point of isolation for the meter.
I'm sure there are other ways of acheiving both goals but if the install is being specified or installed by someone with a DNO background I can see how a service cut out could be the chosen soloution.
It's difficult to disagree with any of that, 'unusual' though it may be. Indeed, a 'DNO background' could possible explain a choice of cable type which, in turn, invoked your (1) - but let's just hope that it's not straight con!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back