What ceiling timbers can I rely on to hang bicycles from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We‘ve just moved into a recently built (2016) detached house which I believe has a first floor concrete slab. In the garage below (ground floor) I’d like to screw a (say) section of 1in x 4in timber to the ceiling, to which I’ll have attached some hooks which will each support a bicycle. The ceiling (photo below) appears to be made up of plasterboard. I’ve scanned it with a joist detector and have located what I think are joists, and my plan is to screw my sections of wood with hooks to these. My question is, given that the first floor is a concrete floor and I that I have no idea what structure supports it, is it reasonable to expect joists and to use these to screw my contraption into?

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3188.jpeg
    IMG_3188.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Lift to floor covering to identify the floor construction. Fix a batten at right angles to the joist to spread the load.

Yes that was my plan, batten running across 3 joists. See pic below of carpet grippers nailed to (I think) precast concrete slabs (first floor). My question is, what is supporting these slabs (timber joists?) and can I drill into it from below in the garage?

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpeg
    IMG_3189.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Thank you but before I start drilling holes, I would like to know what is on the other side of the plasterboard ceiling with such a (concrete) floor above it. That is the information I’m after and why I started this thread. If someone can answer that question then I’d be most grateful.

You expect someone on an internet forum to know what's on the other side of your floor?
Are we supposed to be psychic?

You expect someone on an internet forum to know what's on the other side of your floor?
Are we supposed to be psychic?
Haha! I take your point. I was hoping that someone familiar with this sort of construction would be able to tell me exactly what was the other side of the plasterboard, in the same way that in my old house (joists and floorboards) I could say that above the plasterboard there’d be 600mm spaced joists running from one LB wall to another. But fair enough, I’ll drill and work it out.

You can also look at the floor in the room above.

You can also look at the floor in the room above.
Assuming it is a concrete floor, as the OP intimated, it will be beam & block with a screed, concrete planks or a slab that will then have a suspended ceiling beneath, he needs to understand what that method of suspension is. You cannot determine that from above.

Assuming it is a concrete floor, as the OP intimated, it will be beam & block with a screed, concrete planks or a slab that will then have a suspended ceiling beneath, he needs to understand what that method of suspension is. You cannot determine that from above.
Thank you! Finally…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back