What ceiling timbers can I rely on to hang bicycles from?

How high is the ceiling?
2m60. Below is a pic of what I can see through a light fitting aperture in the hallway next to garage. Again, I’m not at all familiar with concrete floors but at first glance there’s nothing obvious into which to screw battens for bicycle hooks. Happy to be enlightened.

Attachments

• IMG_3191.jpeg
    IMG_3191.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
2m60. Below is a pic of what I can see through a light fitting aperture in the hallway next to garage. Again, I’m not at all familiar with concrete floors but at first glance there’s nothing obvious into which to screw battens for bicycle hooks. Happy to be enlightened.
Can you stick your phone through the hole and take a few pics with the flash?

At a glance it looks like an M/F suspended ceiling, something like the image below which isn't really suitable for hanging bikes off, consider a cross beam suggestion as per Murdochats post above.

ae8f960b0f198ce7aaf9e2051fe44a5e3e5fd796.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you stick your phone through the hole and take a few pics with the flash?

At a glance it looks like an M/F suspended ceiling, something like the image below which isn't really suitable for hanging bikes off, consider a cross beam suggestion as per Murdochats post above.

ae8f960b0f198ce7aaf9e2051fe44a5e3e5fd796.jpg
Very good, thanks all, I think I got the info I needed now. Essentially ceiling hanging is not possible (there’s a clue in the fact that neither of the previous two owners had anything supported by the ceiling). I think I’ll make a wall-hung structure for the bikes or even just floor-based. Cheers all. (PS: I’ve fitted a ceiling light where that hole was so won’t be taking a pic but all you’d see is a bit of metal bracket plus insulation. No timber).

So at 2.60 meters high you have options

So how about fixing a pair of joist hangers to the walls and adding a piece of wood between them which would allow you to fix your bike hangers to them?

hangers like these:

Cheers but I won’t do that as there’s no way to do it without the joist running through boilers or across a door to the garden.

You can get a wall hanging bracket. It folds to the wall when not in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back