What cement do you use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've been making patio slabs and balustrade for over 25 years. I used to use Castle Cement, but due to the fact the are bulking it out with lime I am unable to use it due to pinholes in the finished item. I have been using Southern Cement, but even that now has had it's setting time reduced (EC regulations on reducing chromium in cement I'm told).

I have yet to try the latest Blue Circle Cement and that now contains fly ash and also has a slower setting time than Southern.

I know I can use a rapid hardening cement or use additives but that just increases costs at a time I need to be trying to reduce them.

I just wondered if there were any other precasters on here or guys who lay concrete and wondered how you are getting on with our ever worsening cement.

Sponsored Links
castle cement.

provides a fatty mortar, holding the water rather well.

some cement is just too 'dark' for my liking.

As I said I can't use Castle O/P due to the pinholes and the hardened product gives a dull thud rather than a nice ring when you knock it with your knuckles.

Sponsored Links
i take it then you don't use a vibrating table.

Of course I use a vibrating table, I'd have arms like Popeye if I didn't :)

The pinholing is due to the lime that is added to Castle O/P now. That information comes straight from Castle's technical department, I won't name the guy on here, but he also told me they have lost most of the precasters now that their cement has a slower setting time.

i'll ask one of the family they own a business making fence posts, gravel boards, slabs etc see what they use.

concrete, could you do me a favour and contact me via e-mail (cant find yours in your profile) i could do with asking your advice on a technical issue with some slabs that have been made by a local company.

cheers

thermo

Back