What code would you give this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was carrying out an EICR today on a hairdressers.

One issue I noted was they had two standard domestic showers both supplied by a BS3036 fuse and no RCD.

There was no supplementary bonding, and there is a socket outlet within 3 meters of the shower head.

The showers are only used over those sinks where you lean your head backwards, and there is no shower tray.

What code would you issue for this?

Sponsored Links
dunno, but as it is not a normal bathroom then there is less likleyhood of minimal clothing and wet feet et al

C2. It's unsatisfactory for me.
With it being a place of work and a mixture of joe public and dizzy Tracey hairdressers in the vicinity....how long is the cord on a hairdrier?

i guess there are over a thousand hairdressers with socket outlets with three metres of the shower head. Is all equipment plugged in class II? would it help to have IP rated masterseal outlets or flex to fused spurs?. I understand the IET will add a hairdressing section in 2015. after they have removed the IEE print from the spine of the BGB

Sponsored Links
Most worrying about that statement was two electric showers on BS3036 fuses, Im guessing a single phase incoming supply and a wylex standard consumer unit ?
What KW rating are the showers ? and is it likely that both are in use at the same time ?

Most worrying about that statement was two electric showers on BS3036 fuses, Im guessing a single phase incoming supply and a wylex standard consumer unit ?
What KW rating are the showers ? and is it likely that both are in use at the same time ?

I am sure RF has thought about that

could you argue that the waste of the sink was zone 0, zone 1, please do, work for us all.n after all, it is a basin.

In a cover letter suggest rcd protection for showers and socket outlet if of course the oc protective devices are co ordinated + main equipotential bonding is present. if the socket is not for a regularly used piece of equipment then loose it. Or if it is needed consider changing it to a permanently wired spur pref with cord short enough so shower head and equipment cannot be held at same time.

In a cover letter suggest rcd protection for showers and socket outlet if of course the oc protective devices are co ordinated + main equipotential bonding is present. if the socket is not for a regularly used piece of equipment then loose it. Or if it is needed consider changing it to a permanently wired spur pref with cord short enough so shower head and equipment cannot be held at same time.

and while you are at it, why not rcd the lights if you consider it a bathroom, with no supplementary bonding, put that in your covering letter!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back