What colour coded cable is used for electrical courses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everybody

I know it might seem a rather daft question, but for electrical installation courses in technical colleges, is it harmonized cores used only in the practical workshops?

Since when these students go to do real work on site, at the present time and for a long time to come, they will ALWAYS becomming face to face with the old colours, possibly EVERY day.

Regards

Sponsored Links
good question - don't know is the answer

when i did part p we used the new colours for practice but were taught both

most of the installations were old wiring

I did my c&g 2330 (new version of part 1+2) last summer, and yes it was all in new colours! Lecturers sometimes had to explain things in 'old money' as they kept tripping over themselves! But I can imagine problems occuring when someone newly qualified jacks in site work and goes house bashing/refurb!

Sponsored Links
I would think it would be impossible to cover all options. And not sure if a good idea anyway. We know the number 0 being reserved for the neutral or midpoint conductor see 514.5.4 but I would not like to guarantee that! And teaching people colour code can mean they rely on these being correct as I know when we knew all safety switches for personnel safety are red or yellow so disconnected a black switch so as not to damage it but seems the Germans did not follow the same rules! Hence my mauled hand.

It's a bit off putting working on 1950s Germanic equipment seeing all the earths wired in red. :eek:

Orange panel wiring is pretty common, come across it a lot.
Not much use when someone in their wisdom decides we must use orange wire for linking out so it can be seen!

It is a while since I did panel wiring but seem the remember White, Purple, Blue, and Orange denote the base voltage the system is working on so one does not make a mistake and connect a 110 volt control to a 24 volt control?

Orange wiring in a control panel denotes 'fed from an external source' (interlocking) if you are working to EN60204

Black = Power circuits

Red = Control circuits

Then of course there are the German & French standards (different) for colour coding ferrules on the basis of conductor size...

The ones I am thinking of are 24v/48v DC, fed from a supply inside the panel. The 0v iirc are grey.
Would have probably been built in the days before harmonized standards, I'm thinking they would be late 1970s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back