What concrete mix do I use to lay a kerb edging?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need some help!!!

Been in the garden for the last two days trying to lay 5m of edging kerbs. I've done quite a bit of research on the net and watched a few videos..but its mission impossible trying to get the flaming things level and stay level. I manage to get one level, put the next kerb in, tamp it in place and the previous block has moved. The kerbs are quite heavy and thinner at the bottom than the top so tend to lean backward...they just sit on what ever mix I make. They don't bed in. I've tried several different cement mixes. My last one was small (10mm) gravel, sand and cement (4 - 2 - 1)...still no luck. Is there a special mix for laying edging kerb stones ? Or are there any tricks to laying these?

Hope someone can help....

Sponsored Links
Make a stodgier mix, and not quite so much gravel. Get the haunch to just higher than you will want it, place the edging onto it, tap lightly to level, then pile up more haunch to support it.

Dont over-engineer it.

Sponsored Links
..we have lift off!

I had another read of the suggested paving website, added less water and replaced some of the shingle for more sand. Bingo, I'll be laying kerbs with the best of them!

(Well, sort of...it took me 3 hours to lay about 25 kerbs...hehehe)

Thanks again for all your suggestions - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back