What could be the cause of this leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Walking up the stairs last night & I felt a drip of water onto my head. Looked up & saw a slight water staining on the wooden beam as per the attached pic. The house is of an unusual design & I'm assuming under the roof tiles there is not much apart from plasterboard & the beams that you can see in the pics. The house was built in the mid-1980s. I'm hoping it could just be some cracked tiles. Any ideas?
20230122_154527.jpg
20230122_154506.jpg
Cowl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that area directly above the leak? If that's the chimney on the left in the room you may need to post some more pics of roof slightly to right. I can see your ridge mortar has come away in places which needs addressing. I take it you cant see in loft there?

Is that area directly above the leak? If that's the chimney on the left in the room you may need to post some more pics of roof slightly to right. I can see your ridge mortar has come away in places which needs addressing. I take it you cant see in loft there?

Apologies the roof pic is to the left of the leak. It was an earlier photo that I had on my phone. I shall take a better pic this evening of the area directly above. I think there's some more of the ridge mortar that's come away, to be honest.. No, the loft is on the other side.

Sponsored Links
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

The first pic above is above the leak. The second pic shows the general roof area & the third pic shows the gutter to the right & above of where the leak is. The gutter appears to be full of moss. I wonder if when it rains this gutter is overflowing & the rain making its way under the tiles? I cannot see any other obvious signs of a leak path.

The gutter appears to be full of moss. I wonder if when it rains this gutter is overflowing & the rain making its way under the tiles? I cannot see any other obvious signs of a leak path.

I would get that moss cleared out, as a matter of urgency. Window cleaners who use ladders, can often offer that service.

As Harry said get that moss removed, That wont be causing the leak though as the leak is halfway up the ceiling. The roof looks pretty good to me, I cant see anything obvious.

As Harry said get that moss removed, That wont be causing the leak though as the leak is halfway up the ceiling. The roof looks pretty good to me, I cant see anything obvious.
The leak is actually below the gutter. It's an odd set up to be honest. This pic shows where the leak is by the red cross and the yellow circle is where the gutter is that's full of moss.
20230125_190437.jpg

Water will track to the lowest point so always remember that!

There looks to be some sort of repair or damage to ridge mortar directly above red mark. Think you are going to need to get a roofer inspect further.

not being funny but was it actually raining around the time the water dripped or dry outside?
since the weather has been so cold, condensation might be the issue. That would happen in cold weather rather than in wet weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back