What could have caused this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

Over the past month I have applied 1 x mist coat and 3 x coats of Dulux matt paint to a newly plastered bedroom ceiling using a roller.

I have painted a number of ceilings in my house but the final finish shows characteristics that I have not seen before.

There seems to be patches across the ceiling in the same plane that the roller was run. These are very noticeable when entering the room and viewing the ceiling in the natural light provided by the window.

I have used exactly the same technique to previous ceilings, the only change in tools or technique has been the change from a Harris Ultima roller sleeve to a Purdy 3/8" nap sleeve. I am thinking that the change of sleeve may have contributed to a striped finish. Perhaps whilst the plastering felt smooth, it was too rough for the roller sleeve and that has caused the stripy finish.

I have attached added a photo in my album, thoughts on whether the sleeve change or what else is to blame would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Give it another coat, make sure you overlap by a 1/4 over last run.

I always try and make sure that on the coat I am applying, I try and always apply the next run over a pervious line that is still wet.

Whats the extact paint type you are using?

thanks I always overlap and also onto wet paint.

It is Dulux pure brilliant white matt emulsion.

What are your thoughts on my sleeve theory

A 3/8" nap will not to tend to hold enough paint, so the finish will often appear patchy, you should really consider using no less than a medium pile sleeve for work of this nature.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dec, so do you believe that this may have contributed to the patchy finish despite me applying 3 coats?

Well not being to view the ceiling for myself does make the correct advice a little difficult, yet I would say yes it could be a distinct possibility.

Dec

Thanks Dec, have you been able to view the image I have inserted into my album?

Yes I have, yet pics sometimes can fib a little, if I were you I would use the medium pile sleeve on one ceiling then post back and let us know how it looks then.

Dec

thanks Dec, will one coat of the ceiling be sufficient with the medium pile do you think?

You have applied a mistcoat followed by two either full or slightly eased topcoats, and the ceiling still remains to be patchy so give it one more coat with the medium pile sleeve and post back.

Dec

Don't know how many times I have to tell you this. It is a plastering fault known as suede. You'll roller it for ages and it'll still be there.

"Don't know how many times I have to tell you this"

What?

Cheers Dec, I am going to take your advice and go with the medium roller. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back