What determines the cost of bars put in wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The builders are coming today to insert stainless steel bars into one of my walls to fix a subsidence crack. They told my friend that they don't use cheaper bars as it would invalidate my insurance (they aren't paying but if I need to make a future claim). Does the grade of bar used determine the price and the quality of the bar?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for replying. The builders couldn't come as the weather was too bad. I was thinking more that the cheaper bars may be made of something else, not stainless steel.

They will probably be using HeliBars, which are stainless steel, and are the usual way of repairing/reinforcing cracks in masonry.

Sponsored Links
The way it works is ... the engineer specifies a bar, and the builders fit that exact bar.

Your insurer is paying in any case.

Fair enough I was only going by the original post in this thread!(y)

No,the insurance company won't be paying as the cost of the repair is just under or the same as the excess.The structural engineer said to use a 6mm stainless steel stud bar grade 304. Originally the man from the insurance company who came here said to me (but didn't put it anywhere in writing)to get the structural engineer to come on the day that the builders are here to check that they are using the bars he specified. Although when I phoned them a couple of weeks ago and they said there was nothing down about this, I would feel safer if he comes and confirms that they aren't using cheaper bars.

I would feel safer if he comes and confirms that they aren't using cheaper bars.

Well just ask the SE to come out, then, but be prepared to pay for his time and expenses.
The problem with this is that it would only take the SE 0.5 seconds to check that the bars they have are the correct ones, but then householders often gib at paying for the SE's time, overheads and other expenses.
It's a similar storey when the plumber comes out to replace a tap washer. The bill is - say - £75 and the householder complains that it was only a 5-minute job with a 10p tap washer.

I can't understand why the insurance company is involved, and giving directions when you will be paying for this out of the excess.

In effect, that is making a claim, and suffering the increased premiums because of that, but not getting anything in return - whilst still having the insurance company dictate what is to happen.

If you are paying for this work, then you should be damn certain that the engineer and the builder do what you want, how you want and when you want. None of this "can't come out on that day" or "can only come out on that day" nonsense. They are working for you, make them work to your convenience, not theirs.

You are entitled to see material receipts if you want to check

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back