What do I need to record video on my PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a digital video camera (mini DV) and wondered if I could connect this to my PC and transfer the video taken onto DVD. I think my PC spec is ok (P4, plenty space on hard drive etc) but I am not sure if I need a video card - the video camera says you can connect to a PC with a DV connector - or what software I need to use.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sponsored Links
i should say you need video editing software and a suitable video in card.

I have got pinacle studio, works well

Does DV plug into a Firewire port? Which camcorder do you have?

Spark is correct. You need a mini DV to Firewire cable plus, as breezer suggests, some software such as Pinnacle. The cables are available from places like Maplin. You will also need a firewire card for your PC, if not already there. Unlike USB, make sure the camera and PC are OFF before making the connection otherwise you WILL damage the firewire interface.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information - its all starting to make a bit more sense now. My Camcorder is a JVC GR-D240 which has a DV out socket which is IEEE1394 standard, I had a look at www.savastore.com and they list a few firewire cards of this standard.

Looks like I will need one of these cards, a cable and the software although I have found some Nero video editing software on the PC already.

My first time on the forum and its an excellent result, thanks :D

get pinacle or similar, it also allows you to do sill things

such as titles (begining and end)

effects (never tried them)

add sound track (not done that either)

re-arnge "tracks" before you put them onto vcd or dvd

oh and editing does use a lot of hard drive spave (i have a 20gb partition just for video)

Back