What do we think?

Sponsored Links
What they've put in would count as a permanent installation under BS7671 (the wiring regs). The issues I see are:

* Random 13A plug, going to an FCU (what's the point of the second fuse?) - having something plug in isn't disastrous, but no point having it fused twice. Is the cable coming out the box in a cable outlet, or have they just made a hole in the box and poked it through?

* ELV and LV cables in the same bit of trunking (I assume) - as it appears the network cable and the power cable are running in the same bit of trunking. BS7671 recommends at least (off the top of my head, this might not be wrong) 200mm separation.

If they're not qualified sparks, and haven't tested anything they've put in, then they (or your company as it allowed them to do it potentially) are probably in breach of the electricity at work act...

Its fused 3 times (FCU above the Kronos unit)

Good point about the cable outlet - not sure. Will give it a wiggle.

Nothing was tested.

* ELV and LV cables in the same bit of trunking (I assume) - as it appears the network cable and the power cable are running in the same bit of trunking. BS7671 recommends at least (off the top of my head, this might not be wrong) 200mm separation.

well then the data and power cable in the dado trunking are also in breach of this then aren't they?

it's all screened anyway..

Sponsored Links
In theory the dado trunking should have metal screening to separate the LV from the ELV (whether it does or not is another question). Assuming they've run T&E or singles in the trunking, then theres no separation between that and the cat5 (I assume its cat5 anyway)...

I thought the cable separation requirment was because the ELV cables insulation is not rated for mains voltage.

The cat5e and the mains does seem to be in the same MMT2 trunk up the wall?

Why is there no patch lead in the network port? I assume the network cable from that port is hard wired directly into the clockcard? So by now I assume you have a cable from the new wall port to one of your original ports in the dado or similar? Thats a little crappy.

most cat 5 has 600v insulation on it anyway doesn't it?

they anticipate that it will be run in dado trunking alongside the mains.. surely?

I have some here - Brand-Rex, so a reputable make. It says 180V on the sheath.

BAS, OT to the OP but how do you find brand-rex cable.

I use Excel, but after having some trouble getting a CAT6 install certified recently i'm looking to change cable vendor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back