What do you think is wrong with my Worcester 24i Junior?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We have a problem with our Worcester Junior 24i.

It started making banging noises a couple of months ago then started cutting off.

The hot water has always worked without a problem.

For a while we were able to operate the heating so it warmed up the kitchen, dining room and living room.

What happened is that the boiler would fire for about a minute, then simply stop trying to heat the radiators. Eventually this would provide enough heat for the three rooms as described after it did this a few times.

Finally after a few lock out situations, the boiler stopped being able to heat any part of the room.

It fires up then makes horrible clanking and grinding sounds then goes into lock out.

After a previous thread on here, I was under the impression that it was bunged up and needed cleaning out.

So far we have had 2 people to look at it.

1st guy suspected the pump so replaced it with another that he had with him to test. This didn't work so he said he would need to strip the heat exchanger and clean it out or replace if necessary. He never got back to me.

2nd guy again suspected the pump despite us saying we've had the pump replaced (showing him the old one) and it didn't help one bit. He says that the pump needs replacing regardless and we need a new PRV (fair enough as the 1st guy said the same about the pump but not the PRV) but I was concerned that this would not be the main source of the problem. His plan was to replace the pump and look at the heat exchanger next. He has now stopped responding to my texts and calls as to when he can get the parts necessary to continue.

What I really want is for someone to come in and just go straight to the heat exchanger flushing part as this is what my gut (and the first guy) is telling me it is. I have no problem if a pump still needs to be fitted at this stage of course.

The water coming out of the radiators is clean if this helps with any remote diagnosis.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what they think the problem is as described?

I'm concerned that two people have now bailed on me and that the work might be too much hassle/not cost effective.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
which Junior 24i do you have ? is it Standard efficiency or the greenstar High Efficiency ?

I'm not sure but it's 9 years old if that's any help?

Would it just be on the front? If so it's not the green one.

Cheers.

It does sound like you have the standard efficiency one rather than the Greenstar, the Greenstar heat cell is prone to rippling if the system water is contaminated but havent really heard of the standard efficiency one being affected, it sounds like you do indeed have a blockage or restriction somewhere within the boiler though, you might want to consider Worcesters fixed price repair service currently £270 I think but covers all labour and parts but they may be a bit funny if it is indeed a blockage they might not cover that not sure

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back