What do you think of laminate 'tiles'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In terms of cost, warmth, aftercare, lifetime, compared to ceramic tiles.

The ones I have in mind are a board that are 3 tiles long. Just like a wood ones, but a slate tile effect.

I've tried to look for information about them, but no come up with much. Can they be layed directly on concrete floor (with foil insulation under it) or should they be layed over lats? We only have about 40mm to play with due to the back door.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by lats? And i think i know which tile your on about. Cant really say who but if i said to go as the place you seen them then they are rubbish, not fit to go in your garden shed! If after good tile effect laminate then have a look at quick step tile.

apul said:
Can they be layed directly on concrete floor (with foil insulation under it) or should they be layed over lats? We only have about 40mm to play with due to the back door.
That's okay and it's best to use the 10mm insulation boards for laminated flooring. Make sure the laminated flooring is suitable for your room and not in the bathroom etc

mattysupra said:
what do you mean by lats?
I'm guessing battens :?: :confused:

If you're looking for warm, comfy, good quality alternative to ceramic tiles, modern stick-on cork tiles might do the trick (eco-friendly also and not to go rubbish ;))

Sponsored Links
Your floor is crying out to be tiled!!!!!!!!! You can get some pretty damn good tiles for peanuts these days. Couple that with adhesive that'll cost about £2.50 a metre, grout maybe £1 a metre (depending on tiles). Tiles will look better and last for ages. Laminate tile effect is a bit tacky IMO - my mate has it down (grey tiles) and it looks pants. Do yourself a favour and tile it properly.

masona said:
mattysupra said:
what do you mean by lats?
I'm guessing battens :?: :confused:

Yeah lol. I meant battens. Must have been thinking about the roof or something?

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is is a large area, about 22sqm and the floor feels cold at the moment. So was just trying to find a warmer alternative.

ps. its for the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back