What do you think of this internal roof work??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
P1000706.jpg

P1000715.jpg

P1000712.jpg

P1000711.jpg

Sadly it's house my mum and sister are having extended and they live about a four hour journey away [/url]

Sponsored Links
the timbers look ok but the wall plate is practically floating!

why they haven't bedded it is beyond me. perhaps they are upvc installers!?

at least they fitted gable restraint straps.

i can't see any wall plate holding down straps in the image though? i wonder how they are going to fix these?

The bco will pick up on any faults you know about and maybe some you dont. As you are so far away tell them to call them in for a roof inspection. the builder should have done this already as it will need to be passed before it is covered anyway.Oh and there looks to be insulation missing at the top of the window reveals and those restraint straps will need to be nogged between the timbers.

That wallplate above the lintel seems to have a slight curve in it! Could just be the picture angle though.

There is way too much oversail of the joists over the central wall, in pic 2. Will need cutting back to no more than 4" overhang (or none)

Is the roofspace going to be used as a floor at all? If not then those timbers are way overspecced for the span, by the looks of things.

Sponsored Links
get the DS in,
stop all payments untill it's sorted.
I told my sister to hold back some money until the building inspector had been and passed. The builder said he'd do the work to the Inspectors/bulidng regs if we paid him the money he was "owed". To make matter worse this builders actually built a two storey house down this road that was supposed to be a bungalow and it sticks out like a sore thumb :evil:

I'm no builder but when I visted her recently I was shocked by what I saw and the inspector has noted 16 breaches of regs :cry:

If you pay you will never see him again.
tell him he can come and fix it and get paid, or you will employ someone else to do the remedials to the DSs (BI) satisfaction and it if costs less than owed he will get the difference, but if it cost more you will take him through the small claims court for the extra.
I know it's difficult fronting builders, but it has to be done, so steel yourself, keep your temper, don't give him any excuse to say you were swearing or anything pathetic like that.
phone him and lay it out, don't enter into a discussion with him and tell him it has to be sorted in a month.
then get someone else in.

What is the problem?

The wall plate can have some mortar pointed in to form a bed -awkward but do-able.

Otherwise the roof appears to be unfinised (straps, noggins etc), so what is there to comment on?

Does the householder have the right to withold payments? It may not be contracturally possible

What is the problem?

The wall plate can have some mortar pointed in to form a bed -awkward but do-able.

Otherwise the roof appears to be unfinised (straps, noggins etc), so what is there to comment on?

Does the householder have the right to withold payments? It may not be contracturally possible
(My sister has paid this builder £10,000 so far btw)

I prefer the responses from the other people :D

I'm no builder but it's not standard practice to point in a mortar bed after the roofs actually on and tiled and isn't it best to actually have wall straps in place as well before anything goes above it After a building inspector has passed the work not before?

Hi, Woody,
I would think that the contract , if there is one (written) would cover such things.
If there is no written contract then you are back to common sense and the laws that might apply, so a visit to a solicitor might well be in order, and advice can be given and taken on both sides.
We are after all not talking peanuts here.
If I get someone in to work for me and the work is described as unsatisfactory by the building inspector, I would expect to be able to get it rectified before any further payment was made.
Even if the final payment was held in escrow until a satisfactory solution was found.

Well sometimes we prefer not to hear the things we don't like :cool:

If the chippies choose to fit the roof and someone bed the plate after, then thats their choice. It has no bearing at all on the end result, or the roof structure performance.

Regarding straps, its a little know fact that these are not a b/regs requirement. Many think they are and the BCO may want them, but there are only certain particular circumsatnaces when they would be necessary - other times are merely optional

OK, Woody,
I'm a bricky not a joiner, but I remember when the regs on roof straps came in.
And poking a bit of muck under a wallplate is bad practice at best.

If there is no written contract then you are back to common sense

Yes, but if a builder has paid for materials and done the work then this is a legitimate claim for payment.

Contracturally wise, if a dispute does arise, then there still may be no valid reason to withhold payment. The clients distpute may be spurious or of no basis, and yet the builder does not get paid?

No. Even if no contract exists, then payments are due to cover work done to date, and if there is a dispute and the client is unhappy with the work, then they can only withhold a proportion of the labour costs which represent the cost of that particular element of the work.

The client can not withold £2000, because there is a chipped brick in the wall, for instance.

If the work was done clearly badly or negligently, then yes withhold payment and that will be legitimate

Did the builder build to the drawings, did he build to extra instructions given by the client, or is the BCO asking for extra work over and above the builders quoted sum?

There are lots of variables to any claim or dispute, but the bottom line is that builders can, and should not be held to ransom. And if a client withholds money due unreasonably, then he will be in the wrong and could expect a claim for losses from the builder.

OK, Woody,
I'm a bricky not a joiner, but I remember when the regs on roof straps came in.
And poking a bit of muck under a wallplate is bad practice at best.

There are no regulations for straps.

Fitting the wall plate like that is not bad practice. Its not normal practice, but it is common. But the issue is ... is the roof any worse off because of it, and the answer is ..... no

Woodster, the roof might not be structurally affected, but the wall should be simply supported along its top (unless specifically designed otherwise) and the lack of straps forming a mechanical connection means that any fixity is reliant solely on friction being developed along the top of the wall- which will be minimal, seeing as it's only supported on intermittent packers.

In the right conditions, with uplift on the roof structure and wind pressure/suction on the wall, there would be nothing to stop the wall moving.

I'm intrigued by the positioning of those non-nogged straps next to one another on pic 3.

I'm not so sure I agree with you about this non-requirement for straps, either...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back