What do you think of this quote for 8 VEKA windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The chap seemed very good - they'd be tilt-and-turn, roughly 2m x 90cm... There'd have to be a non-opening panel at the foot of each due to the size of the panes. The glass would be 2 x 60mm panes with 20mm in between (not vacuum, the chap said that's not possible as glass is porous). The sills would be mahogany. He seemed reputable; he wanted me to sign up on the spot but didn't push it & said his quote would still stand. The quote is £7.7K - I think that's inc VAT. Weatherseal were my other quote; they were very aggressive. They quoted £5K rock bottom but were insistent I sign up then and there (I refused) and they said the price will be over £8K as a result (I don't believe them). This other chap said he thinks that Weatherseal's windows are rubbish and they don't fit the specs that they show you when they come round. What does everyone think?

Sponsored Links
I think the rep is a prat . reason one glass is porous? where the hell did he dream that one up. you cannot produce a sealed unit with a vacuum inside period. or the unit would implode. the standard sealed unit is produced using two sheets of glass one clear,one k with a spacerbar to hold them apart,the spacer or usually the two longest lengths are filled with dessicant crystals. this is to dehydrate the air trapped inside the sealed unit.often referred to as hermetically sealed unit. other methods include filling the cavity with argon gas to increase the u value of the sealed unit. but never removing the air inside the unit just replacing it with argon. if he can bull shiyte his way out of not knowing the correct answer what else has he told you that leaves area for thought. try getting a quote from a local independent. forget the bull the larger companies offer with life time guarantees etc its not worth the paper its written on ,

take coldseal for example "we'll come back and clean you windows every year"was their big claim to fame .they went bust along with all the guarantees.

also if you believe in your own product, you sell the benefits,your product has over and above your competitor not rubbish other companies products.its poor selling technique and puts a lot of people off.

if my quote is £500 over the other quote I only need to justify the £500 difference not the whole price. see where i am coming from.

7.7k makes them nearly a grand each.

as for not fitting what they show u most companies make their own samples and bring along what they produce. I thought that those tricks died out years ago.

you will find most larger companies employ reps on commission only so they come across aggressive out of shear desperation to close the sale. no sale no dinner on table. The other guy was working you the other way I am mister nice guy,buy from me and not them because they produce rubbish.

sorry for going on but cant believe companies are still in the dark ages when selling windows I have owned a manufacturing company now for 20 years and very rarely take out a sample ,most of our work is reccommends so they have seen the product. I give them a quote and leave it to them.we close 10 out of ten on reccomends no pressure at all for them or me.

ask around see whos used any of the local long established companies see what they thought, and give them a chance you may even be quite suprised on the 7.7k less overheads for a start.

Thanks for giving me such an honest opinion... I was reaching the same conclusion myself as I've got more quotes. I've now got a quote for £4,711 inc VAT. This includes sound insulation (ie, 6.4mm & 4mm thickness with 18mm between). I think this is much more reasonable and there was far less flannel off the bloke! The profile he'd be using is "22" - I've looked them up online but it's impossible to tell what the quality's like, as a layman - what do you think? Your thoughts would be much appreciated....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back