What does this pipe do??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Removed a box section the living room - was really bugging me! :D

Found the pipe in the pictures below, it has marking which say its a 28mm pipe - but its empty? I.e. nothing flowing through it!

I don't know where the pipe starts from, but it comes through the floor space up above the living room ceiling, down the wall, then outside to what looks like an open end? Could it be an overflow for something? Nothing recently has come out of the pipe that I can see but it does look like something has flowed through in the past?

My house is a 2001 with the following:
Heatre Saudia Megaflo water system (hot water tank)
Sealed central heating system
No other water storage (no gravity fed tanks etc)

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate knowing if I can route this on the outside of the wall so I can get the wall plastered.

Cheers all.

The pipe in the living room coming through the floor boards, down the wall

The pipe where it comes out of the wall outside

The hole in the bottom of the pipe outside
[/u]

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhh! now that's a good point, that would make sense with the Heatre Saudia Megaflo water system right? That's unvented as far as I remember.

In that case, would there be any danger with poking it outside closer to the ceiling height of the living room? It would still be below the bottom of the hot water cylinder. See any probs with that?

Thanks for the speedy response mate.

In that case, would there be any danger with poking it outside closer to the ceiling height of the living room?

It will make for a dangerous shower ! :eek:

Leave it as it is.

Sponsored Links
In that case, would there be any danger with poking it outside closer to the ceiling height of the living room? It would still be below the bottom of the hot water cylinder. See any probs with that?

as long as you run it down to low level it should be ok

I can't see any obvious problem with taking it through to the outside at ceiling height, however it might still have to be run down the outside wall to ground level to prevent the potential of dripping hot water on anyone passing below.

If you can get hold of the manufacturer's installation instructions from their website, then there's likely to be guidance in there.

When a condensate drain pipe from a condensing combi is run in this way, then it's usually necessary to either insulated the pipe or use a larger diameter pipe to prevent the water freezing - not sure whether the same would apply to your discharge pipe (as it's not in constant use like the condensate pipe), however it might.

Again, the manufacturer's instructions will hopefully provide an answer or perhaps one of the pros on here used to installing these cylinders will be able to advise.

as long as you run it down to low level it should be ok

Just ensure you don't reduce pipe size, keep it 28mm.

Guys you are the best.... thanks so much for all the advice and help, I'll give Heatre Saudia a call and ask them what I can and can't do with this pipe now I have an idea of its origin!!!!

Thanks very much to all of you again.

Sorry Kevplumb I think I took a while typing a response and that's where the confusion of my post came from.... you guys are waaaay quicker than me!!!! :LOL:

I can't see any obvious problem with taking it through to the outside at ceiling height, however it might still have to be run down the outside wall to ground level to prevent the potential of dripping hot water on anyone passing below.

If you cannot see any problem then you are obviously not qualified to install unvented cylinders!

Its not just a case of a little "dripping" ! Under a fault condition it could be 30 litres per minute of boiling water !

To protect people against any hazard there are very strict requirements in G3 of the Building Regulations. These cover pipe sizing and the requirement for the pipe to be in metal ( normally copper ) and where the pipe actually terminates to prevent any risk to passers by or children playing.

It looks as if the pipe indoors is in plastic? If thats the case then thats wrong and in the event of a fault there would be a serious risk of the plastic bursting and injuring somebody indoors.

Only a qualified person should work on unvented cylinders.

Tony

Q can i use plastic pipes to carry the discharge ?

A

Yes, provided it is a high temperature plastic and rated to withstand a minimum of 101°C.
However, the use of plastic pipe is not specifically mentioned in the Guidance to G3. Approval for its use should be gained from the Building Control Officer. Ultimately the BCO is the final arbiter of what complies or does not, we can only offer advice.

the manufacturers

can't be wrong :)

Adequately rated plastic discharge pipe at 32 mm CAN be used after a fanney trap and as far as I am aware without needing specific BCO approval.

However the fanney trap was not available when the G3 regulations were written!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back