What drill and sander!!???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to sort my house out! I have a cordless drill that I can use for the soft jobs but I need something that will drill my masonry walls & also through tiles for my shower screen. I also need sander for the gloss doors and skirtings?

Any advice? I don't want to spend a fortune and was going to just pop off to argos or somewhere but I don't know how volts are required to do masonry walls.

also anyone have any tips about drilling through tiles? I am worried that i will crack them!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7111837.htm

Sponsored Links
If you're drilling masonry, you will need at least an impact drill and the appropriate size masonry bits; an SDS drill with SDS bits would be much better. There are plenty of these available now for quite low prices; presumably they are good enough for DIY use. Buy a corded (mains-powered) drill. A good cordless SDS drill would be expensive.

For drilling tiles, you will need to be able to turn the hammer action off. You will also need a standard chuck (not SDS) for tile drilling bits. Drills for ceramic tiles are not expensive; if you have to drill porcelain tiles you will need the more expensive bits for these. You will find plenty of stuff on tile drilling on the tiling forum (where else?).

I can't comment on the Worx sander, apart from saying that it looks reasonably versatile. However, if you're just rubbing down paintwork I would use abrasive blocks and sugar soap.

Hi, I have had great success when drilling tiles by using standard masonary drills on a slow speed without any percussion, prior to drilling the hole, mark the position then centre pop using an auto centre pop on a low setting just to break the glaze, this then gives a good start for the drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back