What duct for MDPE in suspended floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a MDPE supply pipe coming into the property, and it is currently insulated with grey foam insulation. Whilst the flooboards are up, I was thinking of putting some ducting around the pipe in case rodents take a liking to it at some point in the future. Is there a special type of duct I should use for this?

I've seen a product called Twin Wall (blue) which is 50mm, but if I use that then i'm not sure how the insulation would fit around this.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have often seen grey plastic heating/plumbing pipe that has been chewed by rodents and squirrels.

Oddly perhaps I have never seen blue water pipe eaten in the same way. Perhaps that just my luck or perhaps its not to their liking?

If it already has insulation I would just leave it and inspect it regularly. At least under the floor there is less damage to be done by leaking water.

Tony

I have often seen grey plastic heating/plumbing pipe that has been chewed by rodents and squirrels. I have never seen blue water pipe eaten in the same way.

Thats quite interesting - I wonder what attraction grey pipe has for them over the blue stuff.

I read about an innovative way of protecting the pipe using chicken wire style mesh. MDPE with grey foam insulation, and then chicken wire over the top of that and then using cable ties to keep it in place.

I'm a bit more reassured from your post that it may not be totally necessarly, but more of a belt and braces approach in case the new floor is down for a long time and a problem does occur in the future.

If you are that concerned then a few turns of chicken wire may be the answer!

The grey and blue are different plastics so perhaps whatever the attraction of the grey is not in the blue?

I once had squirrels in the loft and they ate the grey insulation off the lighting cables exposing the bare copper wire. It was only when they touched and blew the fuse that I knew about it. Odd they can eat insulation off live wires without any problem!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Rodents do attack Blue MDPE pipe as much as nay other plastic pipe,anyone who tells you any different is telling you porkies

IT was only last week i had to repair mains into the house,just where it raises out of the groundbefore the stop tap,It had been nawed through quite badly and flooded the kitchen

There is purpose made duckting for this type of pipe available from the likes of JG john guest ,any decent plumbers merchants will be able to help you,the only purpose the foam insulation has is to stop the pipes freezing

chicken wire for god sake!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back