What filler for socket outlets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Previous owner of house had installed some new sockets, and the hole they made for the metal box to go in was a bit too big, so now there is a visible gap (about 10mm) down one side of the faica.

This being my first house I have never really done any DIY, and I was wondering what type of filler I should use to patch this up? I read somewhere that it is a good idea to stick a bit of wood in the hole (like a lolly stick) for the filler to adhere too and so it doesn't just fall into the void in the wall, but what would I use to stop the filler falling sideways into the gap?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I would push newspaper in, Then use polyfilla to hold it in place, roughly. When that had set I would use polyfilla to finish. Might not be the proper way, but its what I would do.

That's a fantastic idea, and very simple.

Thanks.

As a note, I was just overly worried about putting some kind of wet filler thing near an electrical socket, but I think that's just me being overly paranoid!

wedge69 said:

Thanks.

As a note, I was just overly worried about putting some kind of wet filler thing near an electrical socket, but I think that's just me being overly paranoid!

Isolate that part of the circuit at the consumer unit and remove the socket faceplate before doing the repair. :idea:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
wedge69 said:

Thanks.

Isolate that part of the circuit at the consumer unit and remove the socket faceplate before doing the repair. :idea:

And stand in a bucket of water....or is it on a rubber mat?...i dunno :confused:

Now.....there is also a filler out for deep holes and gaps...the newspaper idea normally works for me too though...but use a broad sheet......its got more substance!

get a bag of gyproc filler from a paint merchants, goes off in 45 mins and will fill the holes in a couple of goes. very smooth and easy to rub down and work with. much better finish than polyfilla

Thermo......is that a new filler out for deeper holes?....i use a gyproc one thats intended for joints and if it goes on too deep at takes an age to dry thoroughly

Ive they have a fast setitng deep filler out not that will be very useful.

no its not you just build it up over a couple of goes. never had a problem with it and always get a decent finish with it

Yep...it does have a nice finish and easy to sand..ok if you biuld it up....not to clever if you try to do it in one go though.

Well..there are a couple..theres one comes in various names etc but it was originally called 'one strike' its very light...low water content and.....pretty good for deep holes as it doesnt really shrink...but takes ages to really harden...

Theres also another...not sure who make it..could be polyfilla, specifically for deep filling.

If the surface to be filled is sound and solid car body filler or ordinary two pack stuff can do the trick...depending on the surface.

I once raked out the side of a windown only to find a Beano and a daily mirror from around the late forties...both in pretty good nick too...showed em to the developer who said 'oh thanks' and that was the last i saw of em....wish i had have pinched em now!

Another good sourse for old papers is under lino.....recently found some pages advertising a ford cortina mark 2....£1,300 new!

found a cheap gold necklace under some wallpaper i was stripping once. also found thousands of pins and tailors literature under the floorboards of an upstairs mid terrace house once. turned out it was an old sweat shop and the pins had fallen through the floorboards over time.....there were bucket loads!

I'd use a piece of 9.5mm plasterboard to fill the gap glued with no more nails on the plaster side. Leave it slightly below the surface of the wall then finish off with filler.

This is also the only sensible way of fixing the gap when the wall covering is plasterboard itself, on dot and dab and particularly stud work (small cladding depth sliver only) where the dry-lining box has to have something firm to grab hold of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back