What foundations for a garden room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm planning to remove the greenhouse and build a garden room at the end of the garden:

IMG_20220418_201011.jpg

I'm not sure what to do about foundations though. I have patio to the left, a brick and concrete base under the greenhouse which is about 10cm higher than the patio, and grass in front, ie three different starting points for the foundations. The whole area slopes from right (highest point) to left (lowest point).

IMG_20220418_201048.jpg

I'll need to build across the whole width and from the rear fence to about 1m into the grass area.

What should I do for foundations? I really really want to avoid any concrete at all if possible.

Any advice greatfully received!

Sponsored Links
Garden room or sheds as I like to call them are built upon bases which spread the load across the footprint of the shed. What you have already there is probably as sound a base as most sheds get in any case. Avoiding concrete is going to be difficult though if you want to extend the base onto that grass. You'd need to slab/concrete that area too.

I’d suggest some concrete piers, it’s a bit of concrete, not much like a slab

With all the trees and shrubs around, you'd be better off with a slab, or a deep trench. Not pads or posts.

Sponsored Links
Ground screws are my preferred option at the moment as they avoid concrete and are easy for an amateur like me to install.

The plan would be to remove all the patio and concrete that's there and dig down a bit so that the floor of the building is level with the grass, allowing room for the base and air flow beneath the building. I would like to maximise the headroom within the building while staying within the 2.5m PD rights. Will this create any damp issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back