What has god wrought? Changing TRV bases.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem, very plain to see, the floor under my cistern was failing, so I found a pair of tradesmen one a plumber the other a chippy to correct the problem, there were more issues, the boiler needed either a non return valve or motorised valves as one could not select either granny flat or main house independently as the pump from one would force flow in reverse for other, so could not turn off either.

Wiring not a problem, I am an electrical engineer use to PLC control circuits so central heating a doodle. But pipe work was some thing else, OK I piped up my old central heating but 8 mm and 10 mm pipe was very different to 22 mm, so I engaged the pair to also sort out the central heating plumbing.

And while they were at it, also had a problem with a shower, the tray looked cracked so seemed good idea to get that changed as well.

Also a problem with floor in bedroom so add that to list.

Well all went well in June, until shower was looked at, it was found rotten timbers so what should have been simple became a major job, the plumber had persuaded me to swap all TRV's as he said at their age they would be likely troublesome. He arrived with 14 new TRV's and two new zone valves, plus a by-pass valve.

But these were not fitted as run out of time, and clearly the rotten timbers were far more important. He also said he knew of a good guy to service my boiler, and promised to return with him to finish the job.

The chippy went on a long holiday, and the plumber put his back out, so it was delay after delay, he said he wanted the heating engineer to come at same time as him doing other work, so finally this Thursday all three arrived.

Within minutes the plumber left, the chippy replaced the TRV bases, and the heating engineer did the boiler service and fitted the motorised valves, the chippy left leaving the poor heating guy to commission the work, so it should have been open the isolators bleed system and all good to go.

However there were leaks everywhere, the poor guy was left correcting all the problems, his bit did not go A1 with faulty isolators and other work, but he had finished his work by 3 pm but at 6:30 pm he still had not corrected all the chippies leaks. So left with a bowel to catch leaks under one radiators, and only 10 TRV bases changed 4 TRV bases still original.

The plumber and chippy already paid, the heating engineer not paid as yet, but I should only be paying him for service, I am guessing just short of £100, as really only half day spent on service, the zone valves and leaks were not his job, should be charged to plumber, what point should I consider I am being charged twice. i.e what is far price for oil boiler service with new jet, filter in pump, clean filter on tank and free off the sight glass plunger.

The guy worked darn hard, so he needs paying, but do not want to pay twice for same work.

Sponsored Links
I think there's an element here of "too many cooks spoil the broth". Why not just employ one person who could carry out both the boiler service and the TRV replacements? Two people is one too many, and letting a carpenter loose on the plumbing is just madness, it's just not his job.

What's a fair price for an oil boiler service? Well, I charge £95+vat...

Christ! That was like the summing up of the clues on 3-2-1. Too confusing for me to work out but I don’t think you should have let the chippy touch the TRV's.

I think there's an element here of "too many cooks spoil the broth". Why not just employ one person who could carry out both the boiler service and the TRV replacements? Two people is one too many, and letting a carpenter loose on the plumbing is just madness, it's just not his job.

What's a fair price for an oil boiler service? Well, I charge £95+vat...
I employed a plumber, he sub contracted to chippy and heating engineer. With the agreement I was to pay heating engineer direct for the service charge.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back