What impact wrench please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am a Makita guy for my sins. Many 18 and 36v power tools for my carpentry work.
But I’m doing a bit of DIY car maintenance and would love an impact wrench.
Last time a mobile mechanic did a job for me he used a battery impact wrench, as did the last tyre fitter guy.
So is a Makita cordless wrench any good. Only as I already have lots of 18v batteries.
What am I looking for with regards to this tool so I know if they are what I need. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a Hikoki (Hitachi) and a mate has a Makita, both 18v.
They are pretty good, but no where near as good as the Milwaukie wrench.
For sure, they certainly speed things up and I use it lots but sometimes I'm a bit disappointed by their unloosening torque. Wheel nuts in particular it shies at.
John :)

Makita are good and it makes sense if you have the batteries, as above though regarding tight wheel nuts, only the really beastly ones will stand a chance of doing them.

Sponsored Links
How strong is it ?

Mine is 450nm and still struggles with occasional wheels.

This is what I was looking at. It feels expensive, but is less money at other on line outlets, so I wouldn’t pay the Screwfix price. A couple of YouTube videos gives it good reviews.

Last edited:
Makita are good and it makes sense if you have the batteries, as above though regarding tight wheel nuts, only the really beastly ones will stand a chance of doing them.
I don’t necessarily expect it to be 100%. Only a week ago a mate wanted me to do his brakes. Of the 20 wheel lug bolts 2 were really stubborn. I couldn’t shift them with hand brace or my 600mm breaker. We drove to a tyre shop and they tried with a cordless impact, no joy, so resorted to three of us operating a very long heavy duty breaker, the tyre guy literally bouncing on the end of the breaker bar. We got them off but I am amazed we didn’t snap the lug bolts.
But this is more to do with ease, eg, undoing bolts for bushes under the vehicles, that sort of thing.

This is what I was looking at. It feels expensive, but is less money at other on line outlets, so I wouldn’t pay the Screwfix price. A couple of YouTube videos gives it good reviews.
1600nm is a BIG claim. That shouldn't struggle with anything normal.

Not sure I believe it, but if you do get it, I'd like to hear your feedback

If you do buy an impact wrench of any type make sure you buy impact sockets too (usually black).

Std chrome vanadium can (and will, sooner or later) shatter with horrendous results. Think eyes, skin etc

1600nm is a BIG claim. That shouldn't struggle with anything normal.

Not sure I believe it, but if you do get it, I'd like to hear your feedback

Wish I had one of those when I tightened my front hub nuts. They needed to be 300nm. Didn't have anything man enough to tighten that much (thought my breaker bar would bend) and my torque wrench doesn't go up that high. Even local garage didn't have the tools. In the end, got them as tight as I could and drove it to a commercial vehicle garage to torque up. Don't know why anything has to be that tight. It's only a Scudo van.

Sponsored Links
Back