What is a check valve - instructions for Trevi Boost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading the instructions for installing a Trevi Boost shower.
It says that it's essential to fit check valves on both hot and cold supplies,
to prevent crossflow. It also says to fit as far upstream as possible.

What does the Check Valve do, are they talking about preventing backflow? And does upstream mean nearer the shower end. (sorry if that's a stupid question)

Thanks

Wolfboy

Sponsored Links
Yes, check valves are to prevent backflow.

Is the wording as far upstream or just upstream? Upstream does mean before the shower.

yes -backflow protection,

and upstream :confused: I would have though as far downstream as possible (closer to the outlet-i.e.shower) nut i may be wrong (i am an apprentice so seek further advice to confirm!)

BTW - they only allow the water to flow in one direction ;)

Sponsored Links
A 22mm one on the HW side might be better - lower resistance. Do use a SINGLE cv though as bster indicated.

A little ambiguous.

I would interpret as far upstream as possible as being close to source (tank)

But I would interpret as close upstream as possible to mean being close to the shower on the upstream side...

Do the chinese/russian instructions make more sense?

Thanks for all your, I will check upstream bit with the maufactuer.

Anyone know a way of checking the mains pressure without using a meter, which I assume would mean spliting the pipe work?

wolfboy said:
Anyone know a way of checking the mains pressure without using a meter
You can measure it with a bottle of wine. Simply give the wine to a neighbour and ask them to do it. :D

...which I assume would mean spliting the pipe work?
You can get adaptors to attach a meter to a garden tap or to a kitchen tap.

For anyone fitting the Trevi Boost I have checked with the manufacturer and the term
'as close upstream as possible'

means as close to Shower Head as possible.

Now we know. I intend to fit one over next couple of weeks so will let you know how it goes.

If both feeds are coming from the tank i wouldn't of thought you would need to use a check valve, unless the preasures were differant, i.e cold direct from mains.

wonderb0y said:
If both feeds are coming from the tank...
Do you actually know what a Trevi Boost valve is?

It's a venturi valve, i.e. specifically designed for unbalanced supplies. :rolleyes:

:oops:

arhh ok well do as told above then :LOL:

ive just looked at them now god knows why i havn't looked at em before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back