What IS Calgon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And does it actually do anything for the washing machine?

Mrs Pyro insists on dosing the washing machine with the stuff and using low temperatures.

I cant see the point of it and every now and again when she is out will stick the machine empty on its hottest wash with a dose of bleach instead of detergent.

Ta

Sponsored Links
I think it's a water softener. If you live in a soft water area it's a waste of money.

I think it's a water softener. If you live in a soft water area it's a waste of money.

25p per tablet 3-4 washes a week £35-50 a year so unless it extends the machines life its wasted money
i would put the the money in the kitty beside the money for the extended warenties you havent bought and save your money:cool:

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but not sure running bleach through a washing machine is a particularly good idea - what kind of damage could it do to seals/pumps bearings etc?

a cup of washing soda and a hot hot hot cycle with no soap or fabsoft is best for cleaning out accumulated sludge.

I've seen the Which articles, it looks to me like Calgon has no real case and you are tipping your money down the drain. If they had evidence to support their advertising they would produce it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back