What is meant by 'conditioning' hardboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone advise what is meant by conditioning hardboard for casings and how it is done. This is for my college course.

Sponsored Links
Please could someone advise what is meant by conditioning hardboard for casings and how it is done. This is for my college course.

Conditioning

To prevent sheets buckling due to a change in moisture content, manufacturers recommend they should be conditioned before use. There are two ways of doing this.

For standard and LM (low density) type medium and tempered boards, scrub the backs with water, using I litre to every 2440 x 1220mm sheet. Then stack the sheets flat, back to back, for 24-48 hours (48-72 hours for tempered boards).
For HM (high-density) type, medium boards and all boards to be used in centrally heated surroundings, stack the sheets on edge in the room where they are to be used, separating them with wood off cuts to allow the air to circulate. Leave HM medium boards for 48 hours and other boards for 72 hours before using them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back