What is my floor made of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My house is five years old and has a black floor (waterproof) does anyone know what it is and what adhesive I should use for laying solid oak on to it?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would rather hope that WoodYouLike will be along in a moment, but in the meantime, what flooring did you take up to find what you described in another topic as being like bitumen?

Hi,
I have not taken any flooring up. The concrete has a DPM over it but I don't know what it is. Its black and quite thick like I said the house is only five years old. I just need to know so I can buy the right adhesive for the solid oak I wish to lay.

Regards

I have not taken any flooring up. The concrete has a DPM over it but I don't know what it is.
What on earth are you blathering about?

You must have some knowledge of the finished flooring that you're not revealing. Why would there be thick black stuff and no carpet or laminate on top of it for five years?

Did you buy the house in this state? Has there been a flood or a fire?

Its black and quite thick like I said the house is only five years old. I just need to know so I can buy the right adhesive for the solid oak I wish to lay.
You can create as many identical topics as you like, and repeat the same nonsense as much as you like, but you have to help people to help you or you won't get anywhere.

Sponsored Links
I had laminate on this floor, which I have now took up to make way for the solid oak flooring. What is beneath my laminate is the black flooring, which I take is the Damp proofing. So my question is what is this flooring and what adhesive should I use to lay solid oak on top of it?

The house is 5 years old
The black flooring was down from new, which I take is the damp proofing

sounds like "mastic asphalt" You need to prime with a neoprime primer and use a acrylic or a waterbased smoothing compound over the top, then glue to this.

Or leave in situ, install combi-underlayment over it and then 'float' your solid floor ;)

It says on the label that I need to glue it. Can i float or does it need glueing?

Many Thanks

What else does the label say?
Lets starts with the measurements of your new floorboards: if narrower than 100mm wide than glue, if very many short lengths than glue.

Hi Woodulike,
Sorry cannot give you anymore info as I don't have the wood yet should be delivered next week, however from memory they are all different sizes length wise and about 90mm wide. I had to get it from Allied Carpets and it is tongue and groove.

Regards

Petty you bought it already then.

All different seizes? I'm willing to bet the majority are very short.

90mm wide: glue down.

Cheers Woodulike,
I had to buy from them as it was a voucher through the insurance!

Regards

Received the wood yesterday, 90mm wide what glue should I use for the asphalt floor? Also I think this may be a silly question but just need to make sure I don't glue the tongue and groof right?

Many Thanks

After you follow mattysupra's advice
You need to prime with a neoprime primer and use a acrylic or a waterbased smoothing compound over the top,
you can use lecol5500 or B92 from F.Ball to glue the wood down.

And, no, when glueing a floor fully down you don't need to glue the T&G also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back