what is Part P

Sponsored Links
The link "ban all sheds" submitted was well written and even answered some good questions I had.

I want to move some sockets on the existing ring main circuit (not special location) that are mounted on the skirting board (plastic enclosures). There is loads of slack cable to move it to 450mm and then refit them in new metal cases in the wall. I am a DNO electrical engineer with all the equipment and electrical safety knolwedge but lack the full part P understanding. MY QUESTION: I can't see how I will be breaking part P, have I overlooked anything as I want to do the job next week but don't want to find out later that I was in the wrong.

As I am not replacing the cable but purely moving sockets surely I must be with in the regs?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, part P will allow you to do that.

BTW, being DNO, does that mean you can get hold of seals for service fuses ;) ... ,not for me though my DNO has fitted an isolator :cool:

crichtons said:
I want to move some sockets on the existing ring main circuit (not special location)
I should hope not - you are not allowed sockets in special locations.

Yes I have seals etc but they are all marked and personalised as you know so just in case you were asking, no chance but thanks for that advice on part P, I'll get cracking on my job then.

ban-all-sheds said:
crichtons said:
I want to move some sockets on the existing ring main circuit (not special location)
I should hope not - you are not allowed sockets in special locations.

outdoors is considered a special location iirc and you can have sockets thier

kitchen is special according to part P but not the iee again we have sockets there

CEE industrial sockets are allowed in pool areas and on marinas which are both special locations iirc.

finally whilst the IEE like to use the term regulations thier rules are not statutory and do not have to be followed. Part POO and EAW both suggest them as one way of complying with the requirements but neither actually requires you to follow them despite what some will try to tell you.

plugwash said:
outdoors is considered a special location iirc and you can have sockets thier
No it isn't - read the legislation:

"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

kitchen is special according to part P
No it isn't - read the legislation:

"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

CEE industrial sockets are allowed in pool areas and on marinas which are both special locations iirc.
That's true, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about BS1363 sockets..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back